Stop Me...Please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi:
I bought my first underwater camera after my certification dives.

Your Late!! :wink:
I bought the housing for a camera I already had before my last day of certification dives. Gotta great pic somewhere of me, the wife and the kids at 40', taken by our instructor on our final check-out dive.
Since then, I never get wet without it.

Get yourself the Canon A85, it's small, 4MP, lot of manual stuff and cheap. You'll be fine. You already dive with that depth thingy, leave it at home, or let your buddy hold onto it.

I bought my camera after 10yrs of diving. Trust me, it was 10yr too late! Thank god for digital cameras. Underwater photography has never been so affordable. Just get one. I am pretty sure you will not regret it.

Don't think of it as a camera, think of it as a buoyancy improvement aid :)

You'll need to get your buoyancy right to get good pics. You'll quickly learn how to use your BC to hold you just right in the water. Go forth and take pictures....and then let us see them :D

orangeBloke:
Don't think of it as a camera, think of it as a buoyancy improvement aid :)

You'll need to get your buoyancy right to get good pics. You'll quickly learn how to use your BC to hold you just right in the water. Go forth and take pictures....and then let us see them :D

wise bloke :crafty:

Keep resisting. Hang in there. I know I am.

I did cave in a little when I bought my C5050 and PT-015 housing. But I'm back to normal and still going strong, resisting every temptation to spend huge sums of money on such a hobby. Well, unless you count last Friday when I ordered the Inon D-2000 package and UWL-100 wide angle lens from Ryan. But that was just a slight weakness and I'm willing to overlook such minor indiscretions if you are, so I'm still there with you, being tough and strong. I don't count yesterday when I ordered the underwater lens dock from GB Undersea, because that was such an inexpensive purchase it's not worth considering.

So I'll stay on the wagon if you will, resisting temptation every step of the way. Just say No!!!!!

I did have to buy my wife a new Canon A95 with a Canon underwater housing for her to use while snorkeling. It sounds like she's off on the wrong foot and I'll have to remind her be a little tougher, like you and me, and not spend her money so frivolously.

BTW, what can you tell me about modeling lights?

As Ron White says "I don't think so, Scooter". What would life be without a harmless addiction like this? And it's not very expensive to get a simple setup. I wish I got mine right off the bat.

I think I enjoy diving more after I got my camera. I cover a lot less distance per dive, using less air since I don't swim around as much and end up seeing a lot more things there that I would have missed otherwise. You don't have to be super great diver to take pictures, just make sure that you are comfortable enough underwater so you don't have to worry about 100 other things while trying to play with your camera as well.

an U/W camera is "required" equipment for diving! How could you justify diving without the proper equipment? You need to explain the oversight to the fiance (funny how similar that word is to finance), do your research, purchase the proper equipment, and start posting the pictures so we know that you dive properly! :)

As mentioned above, if you dont have one now, your late!

It's a done deal. Just got in the mail yesterday the book "Successful Underwater Photography". I started reading it on the train this morning on the way to work. There's no WAY I can read that and not go out and get a camera.

And I also came up with some good backup rationale: Sooner or later, I'm going to buy the camera. No question about it. So it makes no difference whether I do it now or later. So I'll do it now. Maybe hit an after-Christmas sale.

My only problem is that I always want to buy the best equipment available, so it's going to be a Nikon D70.

Case closed. :D

Thanks guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom