Stonefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that a scorpion fish or a stone fish, or are they the same thing?

annie once bubbled...
Is that a scorpion fish or a stone fish, or are they the same thing?

Scorpion fish and stone fish are not the same. I think that this is stone fish.

These species are often mistaken for one another. I learned a good tip from my PADI Fish ID course. You can tell the difference between them by their mouth. Stonefish have a mouth opening that projects downward, as opposed to the scorpionfish, which has a mouth that starts near the front and angles slightly downward. Check out these photos:

http://www.starfish.ch/reef/stonefish.html

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I can see the difference in the two.

You're very welcome, Dee. I highly recommend the Fish ID Course. I was able to take it here on Saipan, taught by a world famous marine biologist so the students got their money's worth. Sure makes diving more enjoyable when you can ID many of the critters down there.

I agree. I've never seen a Stonefish in order to compare.

I wish all the ID classes/courses could be taught by folks who knew what they are doing. I've taken several and only had one that was really more than instructions on how to look them up in a book.

The little things like fin placements and shapes, head and mouth shapes, eye placements, etc. can really let you ID a fish as to family immediately

Are there any online resources for FishID???
I tried looking for some, specifically for fresh water as that is where I dive, and I couldn't really find anything that helped. Well they helped somewhat but I was looking for more info...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom