Stone Tug and Pocohontas 7/21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaTurtle

Registered
Reaction score
Heading down to North Topsail Island for a family vacation next week. I'll be diving on Thursday with Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington. Anyone dove these sites recently? How is the water temp off the coast these days? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Sean

A couple of weeks ago there were 2 thermoclines. The surface was in the 80s, the next was around 77 deg and the deep one around 80 ft was 72deg . Sure wished I had had a bit more wetsuit.
Don't know what your experience is but unless you are darn sure you don't get seasick, take something.

SeaTurtle:
Heading down to North Topsail Island for a family vacation next week. I'll be diving on Thursday with Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington. Anyone dove these sites recently? How is the water temp off the coast these days? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Sean
Sean,

I was just on the Pocahontas Sunday. The green water has moved in to the southern inshore wrecks which includes the Stone and Pocahontas. The vis was around 20-25 ft on the bottom, once you got thru a muck layer on the surface. Temp on the surface was 82 and on the bottom 77. There are baitfish every where which bring in the king and spanish mackerel and some amberjacks. Sandtigers had moved in to the Stone last week but they can be sporadic there. Keep your eyes peeled on the Pocahontas, I found a nice bronze porthole near the bow Sunday. It's amazing that after 20 years there is still bronze on the wreck. Let me know if you have any more questions. Have a good, safe dive.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom