Stone fish sting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe these old shots will help:

Stonefish - ugly, very well hidden
stonefish1.jpg

Scorpionfish - frilly, wide colour and pattern variation, sometimes well camouflaged but other times just deluding themselves
scorpionblubells1.jpg

scorpionpink.jpg

They move very differently from each other too !! If you're lucky enough to see a stonefish move - they're as lazy as they are ugly !!

Stone Fish are so ugly only their mothers could love them. A few years back I got stung twice in one day. Suffered no I'll affect other then pain

Joe, you were bloody lucky. If they really were stonefish that you got stung by twice – and not scorpionfish – to only feel pain is a miracle. My mate just barely scraped his knee against one of the main spines of a big mother stonefish in the Red Sea, and within five minutes, he was in unbelievable agony, his leg swelled up, he started running a fever and was vomiting uncontrollably. Luckily, we were close to medical attention (or as close as you can be from dive sites in Egypt) and after a two night stay in hospital, he was alright, but they had to pump him full of all sorts of drugs and painkillers. He is an ex-para and he said it is the worst pain he has ever experienced. So count yourself lucky, my man!

Mark

Wow. I've been diving in the Red Sea, Caymans and the Bahamas...and I have never heard of these species. I guess I better just be glad I don't touch stuff...

Also, based on this thread, I'm going to start carrying a knife when I dive...But I'll leave it on the boat. The very thought of you people trying to do first aid on me...

Maybe getting away from the topic, but....

So do scorpionfish have a similar type venom? Serious enough for medical attention like the stonefish?

Curious as I've almost put my hand down on top of one, thinking it was a rock.:11doh:

I saw a stone fish on my last trip to Aruba. My dive buddy pointed it out to me several times before I could finally see it. Looked like a shaggy rock with eyes. I can see how people might step on these things

johnnyseko:
So do scorpionfish have a similar type venom? Serious enough for medical attention like the stonefish?
Scorpionfish, lionfish and stonefish are all in the scorpionfish family (Scorpiondae). They all have protein venom , I think, so the first aid is as pointed out early in this thread - try and 'cook' the venom by submerging the effected area in very hot water (as hot as can be tolerated).

divermatt:
Also, based on this thread, I'm going to start carrying a knife when I dive...But I'll leave it on the boat. The very thought of you people trying to do first aid on me...
:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom