Stolen Gear at Deception Pass!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A friend of mine had his truck broken into at Deception Pass park this weekend, and they ripped off a bunch of stuff, including:

"2 Scuba Pro MK17first stages with 250V second stages and 2 Suunto Gekko dive consoles with pressure guages and compasses. The first stages had a hose for the Air 2 with quick disconnect."

Any sign of this stuff, please email me at Rinman@onespokane.com

Thanks!!

Rick

Sorry to hear about this. I had my car broken into at Sund Rock earlier this year and three of us lost our stuff. It really sucks. We were wearing our SCUBA gear so we didn't lose too much of it but our wallets and cell phones were taken. What a bummer way to end a dive, huh.

Does it look like the thieves were targeting the scuba gear or just grabbing whatever they could?
From what everyone says, this is a high-crime area. The cops told my friend that there have been 5 break-in's like this in the past 2 weeks. I guess their parking lot is isolated from the walking area, so the thieves can watch for people to leave their vehicles, and then, without fear of being seen, be in and out in a matter of moments.

So, not dive related. They just take anything in the vehicles, which in this case included dive gear.
Rick, you mean I didn't just get the deal of the century?
Actually, it wasn't my gear, it was my friends. So if you sell it back to me cheap, then we'll both have a good deal! :wink:

I wanted to thank Rick for posting this for me. It didn't occure to me to post here until he mentioned it.

I took two bit txn advise and post at stolen scuba gear.com . Thanks!

Since this happened (one Sept. 2) I have decided to take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again, or at least not make it so easy for the theif. Apparently there is a tool that they screw into the lock and the pull and it pops the lock right out of the door removing or breaking the retaining nut off the back. There wasn't even a scratch or dent on the door. Just the lock hanging out. So as soon as the lock is re-installed in my door I'm having an alarm system installed ($250) and I've ordered a security safe ($140) which will be bolted to the van floor. Hopefully between the alarm system and the safe I'll be able to leave my wallet, and camera while I'm out diving. I got a large enough security safe that I think that my regs/comp. console will fit in it if I'm not using it. The cost of both the alarm system and the safe is over $600 less than my deductable. I doubt that I"ll ever see any of the stuff that they took but by posting this maybe someone else will avoid what happened to me.]

I mentioned to the ranger that made the report that there should be signs up in the parking lot warning people that it is a high risk area for breakins. He said that he and others have suggested that to his superior but was told that signs like that would be too negative.............like being ripped off isn't!

Bob

Back
Top Bottom