Stolen Dive Computers - If you see them let me know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During my last trip to Oahu it looks like both of my dive computers were stolen out of my luggage (I normally hand carry them but decided to pack them this time) I've been watching ebay and craigslist, but if anyone happens to spot them I'd appreciate a heads up.

Both are quite distinctive as they both have my replacement bungee wrist straps on them http://www.alohashoredivers.com/projects/maresm1/index.html - also I scraped the Mares M1 logo off the one and both had my phone number written on them (doubtlessly erased by now :( ) with a paint pen.

Mahalo and safe diving :D

Tim

agreed - fortunately I'm used to diving with them in gauge mode, so I still get to go diving, and I just got one of them replaced with the new Mares M2 (appropriate bungee straps already in place - lol)

thx for helping :)

Which airline? Are you trying to file a claim?

In most airports there probably aren't many employees that recognize what a dive computer is. Unfortunately for you though, I'll bet there's a TSA inspector or airline baggage handler that now has a couple of unique M1's with bungee wrist straps.

Hmmm. I wonder if they've removed the bungees. I'll keep my eye out. I'm always leary of ebay and craigs list stuff.

Charlie99:
Which airline? Are you trying to file a claim?

In most airports there probably aren't many employees that recognize what a dive computer is. Unfortunately for you though, I'll bet there's a TSA inspector or airline baggage handler that now has a couple of unique M1's with bungee wrist straps.

Pretty certain it was TSA as the box they were in was left for inspection with TSA and then sealed by them (plastic newspaper bundle type of seal) - I have a friend with TSA that is looking into how I go about filing a claim, unfortunately I didn't open that box and discover they were missing for several weeks after returning (what can I say, I unpack very slowly lol) so I most likely have no recourse with the airline or TSA :(

I did figure our community is small enough in Hawaii that they may be noticed (not sure what I'd do if they were though)

Aloha, Tim

I know someone who recovered a confiscated UK Light Canon a week after it was removed....he actually accomplished it in about 4 hrs at the airport. You might consider that although I am guessing it was on your return flight to Maui and therefore you would need to go to Oahu.

kidspot:
Pretty certain it was TSA as the box they were in was left for
inspection with TSA and then sealed by them (plastic newspaper bundle type of seal)
[...]

I'm really sorry to hear that Tim; I'm not generally a fan of the TSA (more show than
effective screening, but that's a subject for a different thread...). It does seem that
the TSA at HNL has a pretty high incidence of things going missing. Periodically arrests
are made over there (search the Advertiser archives), but in general there's little
that anyone can do about it.

File a claim anyway - and also a police report.

Bad -- You don't ever get them back (hope this doesn't happen and best of luck in recovering them.

Good -- You file your reports and they "Magically" are found at the airport and returned (not too shabby).

Great -- Now follow this one all the way through.

A policeman shows up at your house to report your passing to the next of kin at the address. :confused:

Policemen find out it wasn't your body (identified by labeled dive computers) that was found partially eaten by a Tiger. :11:

Police return your equipment to you. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom