Stinky undersuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any tips on getting the smell out of an undersuit. Even straight after washing, once the thing gets slightly damp it begins to smell bad again.

I wash mine on delicate in the washing machine and then hang dry. That usually does the trick.

There is a product sold a dive shope called "Sink Stink" which is vergy good. You just add a little bit to your rinse bin, or a bucket of water and riinse your stuff, and then hang dry.

TOM

I don't know for sure...but may be a product called "Sink the Stink" would work!?!?!

BarryNL:
Anyone have any tips on getting the smell out of an undersuit. Even straight after washing, once the thing gets slightly damp it begins to smell bad again.

Ahhhh, I have just the trick courtesy of Dick Long at DUI. He recommends AGAINST washing your undergarment in soap as it cause the lofty fibers of the suit to mat up and lose their warmth capability over time. For stinky suits he recommends running them through the washing machine with a cup of bleach in the water. I did this to mine and it smells nice and fresh. I hung it to dry and it's fresh as a daisy....granted it smells just a little bit like bleach...but that's a welcome scent to what it smelled like before!! I was concerned about the bleach discoloring the black and burgundy nylon of the suit, so I turned it inside out just in case...which was okay since the inside was the "offending" part of the suit anyway.

Now, if your drysuit is a little stinky inside, go ahead and soak it in Sink the Stink. I've done this in the bathtub and I also have a trashcan that is designated for soaking my suits, wet and dry.

I was told to use Vinegar in the wash and that it works. A front loading washer is suggested so as to not damage the undergarment. Thinsulate doesn't like to be washed often and when you do be very easy on it.

cummings66:
I was told to use Vinegar in the wash and that it works. A front loading washer is suggested so as to not damage the undergarment. Thinsulate doesn't like to be washed often and when you do be very easy on it.
Yep, I've fished fancy bedding out of the drink after nasty storms & even after having been floating around being used as a "critter nursery" for a week it took just 2 washings (w/ vinegar) to eliminate the sludge stink. It's a lot easier on the fabric than bleach, too.

Bob3:
...just 2 washings (w/ vinegar) to eliminate the sludge stink. It's a lot easier on the fabric than bleach, too.

Yeah, bleach is a bit much I think. Especially a CUP of bleach - holy cow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom