Stingray Dive Boat-NJ-trip report for Friday June 23rd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Henrick took his boat, the Stingray, out of Belmar NJ today. We went out with four plus a mate, and we had a great time on the Stolt Dagali, which I believe is about 15 miles offshore and has a max dept of about 130 feet. The lake Atlantic was really cooperating, with flat and calm seas. Rob and Jim splashed in to set the hook and it was time to dive. I was the next in and went in to the hook, which was set in right at the high point of the wreck, which I think was at 58'. I only hit a max. depth of 88' on the first dive, with a bottom temp of 59 degrees. I didn't see too many fish willing to get hammered with my pole spear, so I left it by the hook and made this a sight seeing tour. Fourty minutes later it was time to go. I didn't go to the sand, but did plenty of swim throughs and penetrations. It was nice. Viz. was at least 30-40 feet if not more.

On the second dive, Rob and I were the first to spash in. We went to a place where Rob had stashed a lobster from his first dive (he had no space left in the bag and was already holding one lobster in his other free hand). We put it in my bag and then went into the engine room. This kind of penetration is not really my kind of tea, but it was neat to be inside this area. I didn't bring my pole spear on this dive, and replaced this with my camera. I took a few pictures (which are posted on the board), and then went to a high area to pull some mussels off the wreck. I found the perfect size mussels by a porthole near the tie-in line and I went to town cutting them off and putting them in my bag. This dive I saw a max. depth of 101 feet, and did a 30 minute dive. Rob was using his Prism rebreather, and he stayed down for at least another 30 minutes before pulling the hook.

Upon returning to the line, there was a massive monk fish left on a stringer by Jim, which he shot with his spear gun. Tim took the monk fish up, but man does this thing have teeth!

On top, the total was: 33 scallops (all Rob), 4 lobsters (including a nice 4-pounder brought up by none other than Rob), a boatload of mussels, and one massive monk fish.

We got in to the marina just in time for the thunder, lightning, and heavy rain.

The Stingray was a producer today. I posted some of the pictures from todays dive. the underwater ones sucked, but there are a few good topside shots.

Good stuff Mike, and great pics! Good diving with you. I am glad you got my universal a-hole sign underwater! Interesting day to say the least!

Be safe! Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom