Stillhouse Hollow - May 6 & 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willie

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I made three dives Saturday morning at Stillhouse Hollow. I tagged along with an OW class (3 students) from our LDS, took some pictures and worked on bouancy.

Vis was 10-15' and temp from surface to around 25' was 72f. Overcast skies meant not much light penetrating and so pictures werent that good.

On Sunday morning an AOW diver came with one of the students so I wasnt the only tag-along. The first dive was a training dive and the second was the first dive for the newly certified OW divers.

Vis was a bit better today except for isolated spots and at the thermocline. The lake was a little bit higher than yesterday as well, but not much. Temp was 72f down to about 29-30' and then a noticeable drop but I didnt look at my computer. Max depth was 32'. Lots of fish. I think I got some better picts and video today.

On the way back to exit I attempted a deploy of my SMB and did a lousy job of it. This was disappointing since the last time I deployed it went very smoothly. I tried to do it on the move, put too much air in .... I definitely need to practice that some more.

By tomorrow morning I should have picts posted at http://ez.com/diving/Stillhouse.

Willie

Looking forward to the pictures.
Where did you enter the water at?

I was considering making a trip next weekend saturday morning.
Have to see how things come together.

Thanks for the trip report.

Andrew

I got 12 picts posted.I included the first three mostly for comparison, because they were taken without the filter. I have some video, but will have to wait until tonight to post it.

Willie

Looks like fun Willie... I'll have to make it down there someday.

Nice pics Willie! Thanks for posting!

Crazyduck:
Where did you enter the water at? I was considering making a trip next weekend saturday morning.
Sorry to be so slow responding. I put up some Stillhouse Hollow info pages this morning. You will find driving directions, maps, links, etc.

If you decide to come down on Satuday let me know, I might be able to meet you there if it is early enough.

I havent gotten the video posted though.

Willie

I wouldn't get too worked up over that "wall". There is an old creek channel that ran out of the marina area. My explorations of the west side of that channel has revealed some walls (drop offs) with a total vertical drop of 10 to 15 ft. Better than the otherwise mostly boring gravel slope. Tops of the "walls" are in 30 to 40 feet and they bottom out around 40 to 55 feet and then resume the gentle slope to the old creek channel. I alway thought the "bridge" was the remnants of a old pump station that pulled water out of the Leon and sent it toward Belton. The U-shaped cement blocks supported the old pipeline. But the is a lot of cement structure remnants to the east of the line from the platform to the largest boat. Lines heading east from the shorter platform will intersect the dropoff area in about 35 ft. A line heading SE from the bassboat should take you to one of the areas of cement rubble and an old foundation. Temps drop pretty quickly as you pass thru 30 to 35 feet. A comfortable low 70's down to 30 ft.

Thanks for the info. We should meet up there sometime. This is the closest (1 hour drive) decent lake for me therefore where I can dive the most often.

Willie

wet-willie:
Thanks for the info. We should meet up there sometime. This is the closest (1 hour drive) decent lake for me therefore where I can dive the most often.

Willie

I think I saw you there last week. We'll probably get out there again this weekend.

hey guys,
My map shows an easy 80-102ft area that is closer to the damn.
Is this area accessible?

My map also shows a series of wells, roads and other items of interest.

Whats the temp below 30ft?
I am looking for an 80ft plus area.

Clear water, Andrew

Back
Top Bottom