Stillhouse Hollow Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone on the forum dove this lake near Killeen????

Yes, I dive it somewhat regularly. Water is fairly clear right now but cooling quickly. I dive it because it is close to home, easy access, and boring enough to make skills development the primary goal. Travis is a much more interesting dive.

texdiveguy:
Has anyone on the forum dove this lake near Killeen????
I dive it regularly, it's the closest to home for me. It's the cleanest (and usually clearest) of the local lakes, IMO. There's a dive shop at the marina on the NE side of the lake, so air fills are fairly convenient. Vis is variable, but mostly in the 5-15' range, with the lower end being the norm.

got2av8:
I dive it regularly, it's the closest to home for me. It's the cleanest (and usually clearest) of the local lakes, IMO. There's a dive shop at the marina on the NE side of the lake, so air fills are fairly convenient. Vis is variable, but mostly in the 5-15' range, with the lower end being the norm.

What are some good spots to dive at this lake????

texdiveguy:
What are some good spots to dive at this lake????

http://155.84.70.101/stillhouse/map.htm

The marina/dive shop is on the NE corner of the lake at Stillhouse Park. All of the public parks have shore access, so getting in/out is very convenient. Dana Peak Park and Stillhouse Park have an entry fee, but if you tell the gate attendant at Stillhouse Park that you're going to the dive shop at the marina they'll let you in free. I'm not sure if Union Grove park has an entry fee or not.

Any place except (obviously) right around the dam will give you some fairly interesting dives (diving off the dam will make your day a little TOO interesting...) There's an underwater park near the marina, just ask at the LDS (Scuba Diver's Paradise, ask for Edwin). Any location on the lake will give you plenty of chances to see turtles, gar, catfish, bass, etc.

Be aware that boat traffic is pretty heavy on the lake, even at this time of year. Most of the regular boaters are pretty good about avoiding dive flags, but there are one or two yahoos out there.

Jester:
That's gotta be the first time I've ever heard of Travis being a more interesting dive!

Oh well, I guess it's all comparative!

Pull off a dive down to the riverbed . It will show you how interesting Travis can really be.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom