Stilletto Advice - Have wrong size? Crotch strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I purchased a Zeagle Stiletto from my LDS in November. I love the BC but I'm beginning to think I may have purchased the wrong size, my "fitting" at the LDS wasn't much more than a cursory glance and I was wearing street clothes at the same time. The person that helped me wasn't the owner, who I trust implicitly, but part time help who has since departed. The other answer to the problem is that I'm just not wearing it correctly.

I have to pull the cummerbund more than all the way overlapping to get a reasonable fit on my waist. When I pull the waist straps snug I have to pull essentially all the strap through the adjuster on the buckle. I also find that I have to pull a lot of strap out on the shoulder. When I dive, I find that it rides up on me considerably. So much that I've actually removed the BC at depth and re-donned before to get comfortable.

I'm 6' and 200lbs with a 34-35" waist, however I'm currently 30lbs overweight for me. I'm a pretty skinny guy and usually have a 32" waist or so. I'm concerned about the thing really not fitting in a few months when I'm back in shape.

It looks like the cummerbund is replaceable and I'm thinking of getting one off an "L". I've also whipped up a prototype crotch strap from some webbing and buckles from West Marine. What else should I consider?

Thanks

Flightlead:
I purchased a Zeagle Stiletto from my LDS in November. I love the BC but I'm beginning to think I may have purchased the wrong size, my "fitting" at the LDS wasn't much more than a cursory glance and I was wearing street clothes at the same time. The person that helped me wasn't the owner, who I trust implicitly, but part time help who has since departed. The other answer to the problem is that I'm just not wearing it correctly.

I have to pull the cummerbund more than all the way overlapping to get a reasonable fit on my waist. When I pull the waist straps snug I have to pull essentially all the strap through the adjuster on the buckle. I also find that I have to pull a lot of strap out on the shoulder. When I dive, I find that it rides up on me considerably. So much that I've actually removed the BC at depth and re-donned before to get comfortable.

I'm 6' and 200lbs with a 34-35" waist, however I'm currently 30lbs overweight for me. I'm a pretty skinny guy and usually have a 32" waist or so. I'm concerned about the thing really not fitting in a few months when I'm back in shape.

It looks like the cummerbund is replaceable and I'm thinking of getting one off an "L". I've also whipped up a prototype crotch strap from some webbing and buckles from West Marine. What else should I consider?

Thanks

Disclaimer: I own a Stiletto, but I ain't no expert!

Check out the manual, the BC should not ride up. If memory serves, (I'm at work and don't have access to it), there section on sizing and fit. It also provides directions on how to adjust the cumberbund straps, if they're too small, or large.

I think it states that they need to overlap by at least 4", and it also gives directions on how to reattach the cumberbund if it's too small, or large. Read the directions, and see if you can reconfigure the BC to fit you more comfortably. I'm not sure if the waist buckles can be reconfigured, for a smaller fit, but my guess is that they can.

If you reconfigure the BC, and are still having the problems that you've described, then the BC is probably the wrong size and you should go back to the owner of the LDS and tell him what happened. Perhaps he will work with you to get you into the correct size. (maybe switch out a component, or two).

One of the cool thing about Zeagle BC's, is that you can really custom size 'em. (I.E. medium shoulder straps can be coupled with large waist, etc), for a great fit.

Hope this helps!

It should not ride up like that. Don't put the crotch strap on it to compensate for bad fit.

I'm no expert either, but I dive a Stiletto too and Skinsfan is correct.

Get it to fit right and you will love it. If your manual and LDS can't help, call Zeagle.

Flightlead,

You don't state the size you have, but said "thinking of getting a cummerbund off a L", makes me think you have an XL.

For 6', 200 lbs and a 34-35" waist you should have a Large.

At 170 lbs and 32" waist, you would be best in a Medium. (You probably could wear a large with thick suits.)

Talk to your dealer.

Chad
FL Zeagle rep.
(6'1", 185 lbs, 33" waist and I wear a Medium Stiletto.)

The waist panels are the same size on all BCs. The position on the vest can be changed, but buying a different set of waist panels won't fix the issue if the vest section is too big...

Thanks,

Scott

Guys, Thanks for the info. Chad, you are correct in assuming I have an XL. So if the "waist panel", what I called the cummerbund, the two pieces that velco together to close the front of the BC, are the same size on all size BCs then obviously replacing them won't solve anything. What can I do short of replacing the BC? Can I replace the vest section? What's involved in that? What is the cost? Is everthing else the same size?

thanks

I'm the same size you are and I very comfortably wear a Medium/Medium.

It really sounds to me like the BC is way to big on you. Like Chad and rakkis have said, an XL BC doesn't sound right - a size medium BC would have been my guess, and a size large at the most...

I don't have a good answer for you other than to try and talk to the shop where you bought it and see if you can work out something with them for a smaller size.

Scott

I have not been able to reach the store owner yet. Assuming they will let me swap out pieces of my BC with a new medium which pieces of mine do I keep? I'm guessing the bladder and waist panels? It looks like the lumbar pad is part of the vest section, and that that and the shoulder strap portion would be replaced. Can someone confirm that?

thanks

Your LDS really should swap the whole BCD for one in the correct size. Part of what we go to the LDS for is to get things sized right the first time. If your LDS stands behind their products, then he should be willing to swap out the XL for the medium without any heartburn, since it was his employee that fitted (?) you wrong. The Stiletto along with all the Zeagle BCD's are in my opinion the best. I own a Ranger, a Brigade and an Escape and usually teach in a Stiletto since that's what we use in class. I like each of these becasue they all adjust the same, have very similar layouts and work the same. I wear the one that suits my day of diving the best. Ranger for PSD/cold water diving, Brigade for deeper warm water diving with a pony bottle and backup for cold water diving. Escape for those warm vacation trips unless my son grabs it first then I just use the Brigade. The Stiletto fits nicely in the middle and if I had to buy only 1 BCD probably would have settled on the Stiletto as the best all around compromise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom