Still Nervous as a Advanced Nitrox Diver - advice please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On top of that, before I dive on deep dives *80 - 100 feet* I get nervous - I still make the dives, but, I have this thought like what if my regulator or system stops working (especially when hunting for fossils, etc. where my dive buddy may go in a different direction and I can't reach him, etc.) or I am unable to find my way around - (need to get used to a compass I know) or if I tie a line down using my reel (what if it breaks or comes loose and I can't get back)?

When you clear 100 dives, an SDI Solo Diver course might give you the training to be more confident in your independence, less reliant on a buddy, even when you dive with one.

Richard.

From what I have gathered from what you say so far, the 0-24 lifetime logged dives in your profile is accurate. That means you are still very much leaning the ropes. If you accumulated that number of dives on a series of trips around the world that were 6 months apart, that means you did not do a lot of dives on each trip, so you are, in a sense, relearning every time you dive. In addition, most of those dives appear to have been in locations very different from the one that is giving you the anxiety.

That all sounds perfectly normal to me. The more you dive, the more you will get used to everything that is part of diving. Just give yourself a chance to get comfortable with it.

I would add just one more thing. By any chance are your NC dives with the same outfit you certified with, or are they with people you know? Any chance you're getting performance anxiety of some sort - you feel you have to "deliver" dives better when you're there? It could just be that when you're away from everyone you do better? That would be like me and dancing - when i don't know anyone around, I do better and enjoy it more :)

What everyone is saying makes so much sense, but, Boulderjohn, that last statement honestly makes the most sense. Boulderjohn, when I was home doing *Continuous* dives, I can safely say that I did not have those anxiety issues. I was comfortable and good-to-go. The nausea still was present once I put my wetsuit on. I'm not sure if a "performance anxiety" is reall an issue. I really do believe that the comfort and need to dive *continuously* is essential as I am able or until I reach the point of 100% comfort or close to it.

I still can't get my head around the Nausea though? Why do I get like that as soon as I suit up? Could it be a severe case of Nerves that I don't know is there or is it looking down? That is the most uncomfortable thing to be honest.

Keep in mind, this is not while I'm in the water but usually prior to me being in the water or right when I get in - usually, once I'm at my depth - I'm fine - it's happened only during my pre dive and then begining to go down ( a little ).

From what I have gathered from what you say so far, the 0-24 lifetime logged dives in your profile is accurate. That means you are still very much leaning the ropes. If you accumulated that number of dives on a series of trips around the world that were 6 months apart, that means you did not do a lot of dives on each trip, so you are, in a sense, relearning every time you dive. In addition, most of those dives appear to have been in locations very different from the one that is giving you the anxiety.

That all sounds perfectly normal to me. The more you dive, the more you will get used to everything that is part of diving. Just give yourself a chance to get comfortable with it.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Real quick, I started a thread on the subject of devices but have not heard anything from anyone as of yet...Has anyone heard or used

Manta Sonar "Dive Ray?"

I have been thinking of ordering one but I am trying to see if it picks up objects underneath sand underwater (Fossils, coins, or metals)?

I'll mention one other thing nobody else has...something that triggers nausea in a lot of people...diesel exhaust. Some boats are more prone to build up diesel exhaust, especially in the main deck area if the "upper deck" covers a large portion of the lower. The next time you go out on this boat, try the following:

Step #1, get to the boat early enough to get all of your gear assembled, tested, and your extra stuff (gear bag, shoes, etc) put away BEFORE the engines are started. Sometimes this isn't easy due to the Captain's particular pre-trip routines, but most boats don't sit and idle for long before departure thanks to the high cost of diesel.

Step #2, as soon as step #1 is complete, go up onto the upper deck, or bow of the boat. Take your wetsuit with you. Use it as a pillow until it's time to suit up. If you have to go back to the rear deck for a safety briefing, dive briefing, etc, only go as far as you have to go in order to see and hear the briefing. (in other words, stay in the fresh air)

Step #3, When you hear the "gear up" call, put on your wetsuit. Don't fully zip up or put on the hood if that's what you're diving. This is the key part for many people. Ordinarily at this point you are under the deck, totally zipped, wrestling into your gear while the boat is being maneuvered into place. This is often when you take on the most diesel fumes, especially if the boat is hitting reverse when looking around for their anchor point. (If it is to be a "live drop," meaning no anchor, just wait as long as you can before going to the main deck.)

Step 4: As soon as it's clear that people are about to hit the water, zip up/hood up and go onto the main deck, (turn your cylinder back on), slip into your gear and move as directed to the entry point.

Step 5: Enjoy your dive, nausea free!

Hints: Don't be shy about communicating to the crew that you need to stay in the fresh air. We really don't mind people hanging about if they are trying to avoid getting sice (read as "trying to keep to crew from cleaning up a mess). Also, best to have a chat with your buddy we enough in advance that they aren't getting concerned if you aren't geared up 30 seconds after the "gear up" call.

Well, as much as I'd like to say I haven't tried that, I have and it is when I am outside that I feel very nautious. I mean, I am fine throughout the tripe to the dive site.

The nausea only happens once I PUT MY WETSUIT ON. Once I do that, my body heats up - weird. :)

I'll mention one other thing nobody else has...something that triggers nausea in a lot of people...diesel exhaust. Some boats are more prone to build up diesel exhaust, especially in the main deck area if the "upper deck" covers a large portion of the lower. The next time you go out on this boat, try the following:

Step #1, get to the boat early enough to get all of your gear assembled, tested, and your extra stuff (gear bag, shoes, etc) put away BEFORE the engines are started. Sometimes this isn't easy due to the Captain's particular pre-trip routines, but most boats don't sit and idle for long before departure thanks to the high cost of diesel.

Step #2, as soon as step #1 is complete, go up onto the upper deck, or bow of the boat. Take your wetsuit with you. Use it as a pillow until it's time to suit up. If you have to go back to the rear deck for a safety briefing, dive briefing, etc, only go as far as you have to go in order to see and hear the briefing. (in other words, stay in the fresh air)

Step #3, When you hear the "gear up" call, put on your wetsuit. Don't fully zip up or put on the hood if that's what you're diving. This is the key part for many people. Ordinarily at this point you are under the deck, totally zipped, wrestling into your gear while the boat is being maneuvered into place. This is often when you take on the most diesel fumes, especially if the boat is hitting reverse when looking around for their anchor point. (If it is to be a "live drop," meaning no anchor, just wait as long as you can before going to the main deck.)

Step 4: As soon as it's clear that people are about to hit the water, zip up/hood up and go onto the main deck, (turn your cylinder back on), slip into your gear and move as directed to the entry point.

Step 5: Enjoy your dive, nausea free!

Hints: Don't be shy about communicating to the crew that you need to stay in the fresh air. We really don't mind people hanging about if they are trying to avoid getting sice (read as "trying to keep to crew from cleaning up a mess). Also, best to have a chat with your buddy we enough in advance that they aren't getting concerned if you aren't geared up 30 seconds after the "gear up" call.

Last edited:
I must applaud the fact that you're wise enough to discuss these issues and get some thoughts from folks that understand where you're coming from.

Now continue that wisdom by taking the advice and pull back a little and don't let yourself get in a dangerous situation.

B

poseident:
i'll mention one other thing nobody else has...something that triggers nausea in a lot of people...diesel exhaust
tsandm:
do your local boats expose you to a lot of diesel fume or smell?
Actually, I did . . . :)

Well, as much as I'd like to say I haven't tried that, I have and it is when I am outside that I feel very nautious. I mean, I am fine throughout the tripe to the dive site.

The nausea only happens once I PUT MY WETSUIT ON. Once I do that, my body heats up - weird. :)

Not weird, thats what wetsuits do is make you warm, underwater good and on the surface bad. I wait till the last minute to suit up, I know how long it takes, and try to time it so just as I finish I can slip on the tank and drop in the water. If there is a hangup I may have to unsuit to keep my core temp down, if not I wind up feeling like s**t.

HealthScout
Heat exhaustion is a warning that the body is getting too hot. The person may be thirsty, giddy, weak, uncoordinated, nauseated and sweating profusely. The body temperature is normal and the pulse is normal or raised. The skin is cold and clammy.

My red highlights.

Other suggestions could be the problem, or a combination of all.

I am a diver not a doctor.

Bob
---------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
Just to give everyone a quick update...Jesus grace keeping me, the diving went great! One of the better (comfortable) dives indeed! Became more comfortable with my navigation, received my Bouyancy certification, and even took a sea-sick pill just to be on the safe side. Visibility was not that great, but, one of the important things was that I had fun, it was a safe successful dive! God Bless - Jesus loves ya'll and thank you for everyone's advice and support! :)

Back
Top Bottom