Still Hating Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
1. Woke up at 6:00 AM and checked NOAA Buoys- dive looks like it will be cold and choppy, but doable.
2. Picked up Stu_in_Fla.
3. Drove from Fort Myers to Jupiter (2 1/2 hours- approx 15 mins from dive shop).
4. Entered crazy thunderstorm (lightning, tornado watch, etc..) about 10:30 AM.
5. Answered cell phone- dive no longer doable.
6. Turned and drove 2 1/2 hours back to Fort Myers through massive, rainy, windy cold front.
7. Drank.

I still hate winter.

At any day now, I will most likely be trudging out to unplug my diesel pickup in -deg. temps. Then fight to coax the snowblower to reluctant life. After blasting a foot or more of snow out of a 125 foot driveway, i'll tackle the sidewalks and deck. Diving will ge at the ocean, ONLY at that point, as any fresh wate will have a healthy coat of ice on them. And any water will be in the upper 30's. Even still, winter only lasts for a while, and it's not all that bad!

yeah.. this like what, how many weekends in a row?? there's an OW group at my LDS, actually 2 groups, that are waiting for their checkout dives for almost a month now since the weather's been turning crazy on weekends. I especially feel for them cuz they're motivated enough to train in this cold weather, and then now they're being put off week after week. Really lowers their motivation.. But they come around the shop and hang out from time to time, which is cool. :)

man, but yesterday's rain was massive.. I was at Parrot Jungle at Miami beach... the rain came around 13:00, and that was it for parrot watching for me. My wife goes, "well, there's only 2 places that doesn't rain, under a roof, or under water. Where would you rather be?". Well, I didn't want to freeze my aXX off so we went with being under a roof. :)

dbg40:
At any day now, I will most likely be trudging out to unplug my diesel pickup in -deg. temps. Then fight to coax the snowblower to reluctant life. After blasting a foot or more of snow out of a 125 foot driveway, i'll tackle the sidewalks and deck. Diving will ge at the ocean, ONLY at that point, as any fresh wate will have a healthy coat of ice on them. And any water will be in the upper 30's. Even still, winter only lasts for a while, and it's not all that bad!

Yes everyone; I am aware that winter in South Florida is not the same as winter CT or NY, or OH, or IN, or MI or many other places up north.

Thanks for posting that in the FLORIDA Dive Club board. :D

yeah.. this like what, how many weekends in a row?? there's an OW group at my LDS, actually 2 groups, that are waiting for their checkout dives for almost a month now since the weather's been turning crazy on weekends. I especially feel for them cuz they're motivated enough to train in this cold weather, and then now they're being put off week after week. Really lowers their motivation.. But they come around the shop and hang out from time to time, which is cool. :)

We have that same situation where I work. I feel bad too as many of the classes have students trying to complete their checkouts for OW, AOW, and Enriched Air before big vacations waaaay south of here. I have managed four dives in December and January. Spring cannot come soon enough.

matts1w:
Yes everyone; I am aware that winter in South Florida is not the same as winter CT or NY, or OH, or IN, or MI or many other places up north.

Thanks for posting that in the FLORIDA Dive Club board.

Yeah... But don't you feel better now?

matts1w:
don't feel too bad for dbg40. He likely has an electric starter on his snowblower like mine does.....you plug it in next to the electric engine heater...they start easy!

I do feel for you though......2 trips to east fla coast in the last 2 years.....

blown out except for 3 dives total.......all in edge of the limits conditions....
I can't imagine being so close you can see/smell the ocean; and can't dive...aarrrgg!!

We went out of Jupiter Yesterday 2/4 in the AM skies were cloudy seas were 3-4. First dive went well vis was 30-40 no Lemon Sharks in town :-(. We came up to see a huge squall line coming, the Capt. aborted our second dive and his afternoon trip.

Sorry to hear about the weather up there,...

Not trying to rub it in, but Largo was great early yesterday morning. 1st dive was the Duane, rolled off the boat, looked down, and there she was, pretty as can be. Great vis, sunny for most of the dive, minimal current and 4 big bull sharks schooling off the bow. Sweet. They didn't go away, either, we just hovered on the bow watching them below us just off the sand.

By the forecast, the day was going to be blown out, but got 4 dives in before the weather hit. Surfaced after the 4th to a pretty nice storm (another dive boat captain reported 41 knot gusts at his site/boat). Good dives overall. Better conditions than the Friday dives, suprised even the captain.

For once, the forecasters got it wrong in our favor.

matts1w:
1. Woke up at 6:00 AM and checked NOAA Buoys- dive looks like it will be cold and choppy, but doable.
2. Picked up Stu_in_Fla.
3. Drove from Fort Myers to Jupiter (2 1/2 hours- approx 15 mins from dive shop).
4. Entered crazy thunderstorm (lightning, tornado watch, etc..) about 10:30 AM.
5. Answered cell phone- dive no longer doable.
6. Turned and drove 2 1/2 hours back to Fort Myers through massive, rainy, windy cold front.
7. Drank.

I still hate winter.
I won't tell you how nice it was down here Saturday morning, but our PM trip was cut short (we only got one dive in) by that UGLY cold front. I probably shouldn't mention yesterday's conditions on the Duane either... wouldn't be prudent... not gonna do it! :D

KeyLargoBrent:
I won't tell you how nice it was down here Saturday morning, but our PM trip was cut short (we only got one dive in) by that UGLY cold front. I probably shouldn't mention yesterday's conditions on the Duane either... wouldn't be prudent... not gonna do it! :D

I already heard about conditions on the Duane.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom