Still feeling the boat rocking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vtdiver2:
Gawd, I love that feeling :D
As for what it's called.....i've always known it as "Sea Legs"
C-Dawg

This condition has been well known among those of us who spend time on boats. The reason for is is quite simple. When we stand or walk on two legs, we sway a little, testing our balance, in order to keep from falling over. On land, because the land does not move much, this swaying is almost imperceptible. On a boat, however, the deck moves. Our swaying increases so that we can maintain our balance while walking on a surface that is not stable. When we return to land, for a time, we continue to have an exaggerated sway to our walk until we get used to the fact that the world is stable again.

I had a similar experience.

I skippered a 350-foot freighter in and out of the port of Mombasa, Kenya in heavy seas, running supplies out to a larger ship anchored at sea. I was on the bridge for 24 hours. Never got sea sick.

But once ashore, I got really vertiginous every time I closed my eyes. Even puked a bit. Couldn't sleep for next 24 hours - every time I closed my eyes, I started rocking side to side and up and down with severe nausea.

Opening my eyes immediately relieved the symptoms.

knotical:

Yep, everything mentioned matches with "mal de debarquement". The meclizine has not helped with the swaying/rocking feeling. The good news is that the sensation will go away. My sensations are just more annoying then disruptive.

i get that all the time when i do livaboards. since your body has adjusted to the boat it will also take time to re-adjust your bearings on land:)

When I first started working on boats, I had this happen every night when I got home. It kept getting worse and worse and worse... I was truly afraid I was going to have to quit my job, I was banging off walls when I walked down the hallway and couldn't focus my eyes on anything. After a few weeks, it just kind of stopped. Now I can get on a boat and off a boat and my body has adjusted to the idea of 2 states of equilibrium. Now I only get the "rockies" when I've been off boats for a few weeks and I go out and sit in 2-3' rollers for a day.

Rachel

The most seriously motion sick I have ever been in my LIFE was in a Chinese restaurant in San Juan, Puerto Rico. We had just gotten off a week-long sailboat charter, and my ears were still on the water, and the restaurant was pitching up and down despite the easily visible fact that it wasn't. It's an obnoxious sensation, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom