Still confused?? AL legend LX vs. titan LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to consider further is that if you buy a Legend of any kind right now AL will throw in a Legend octo. (As Tripod said) This is an air balanced non-adjustable second exactly like the Titan LX or Legend second. If you buy the Titan LX then you get the ABS or Titan octo. It would be good to factor this into your decision if having an equivalent octo is of value to you. Since the Legend has an AL termed "over balanced" changing IP you must have an air balanced octo or it will dribble air at depth.

The second thing to consider is that if you will ever dive cold or murky water is that the Legend is a sealed first. Unless you get the Titan LX Supreme, the Titan LX is not env. sealed. If you only dive warm this is not really an issue. With the octo deal the actual prices are closer between the Titan LX Supreme and the Legend.

I think for your diving (and actually mine) the Titan LX would be a cost saving choice. I ended up buying the Legend last year and paid for that expensive octo (darn) because I may dive colder water in the future and like the idea of my second and octo being the same. This is much the same thinking as Tripod. I have to say that the Legend is effortless breathing in any position.

AL naming schemes are very confusing between the Legend and the Titan with all the LXs and Supremes, perhaps intentionally so for the cynical. :) I was very confused by all of this too!

I've never tried the Legend, but I've had my Titan LX deeper than I should have had it on a number of occasions with no problems breathing at all. I have, however, had one freeflow that MIGHT have been related to freezing -- at least, nothing was found wrong with the reg when it was taken apart at the shop. If you aren't planning on diving cold water on cold days (and maybe even if you are, to a point) I think the Titan is a fine choice.

Underachiever,

both are good regs. you won't be unhappy with either. The Legend LX will just breath slightly better at deeper depths and is more adjustable (like in high current).

Jmps made a good point that if you're going to be doing really cold diving you'd want the environmentally sealed 1st stage.

BTW... if you decide on the Legend LX and then want to decide between it and the Legeng LX Supreme... guess what. It's EXACTLY the same regulator with some cosmetic differences and a lower intermediate pressure setting (which can be adjusted). Though they advertise this as a colder water reg, it's just a marketing ploy by them and they charge $15 bucks more. You do however get a mouthguard which helps keep your lips a little warmer. I'm not sure if that's worth the extra $15 bucks, but I can tell the guard does keep my lips warmer in colder water. for what it's worth....

To simplify:
If you plan on cold water dives, dirty water, or strenuous dives..get the Legend.
If you plan on warm water, casual diving...get the Titan.

Divedoggie:
To simplify:
If you plan on cold water dives, dirty water, or strenuous dives..get the Legend.
If you plan on warm water, casual diving...get the Titan.

I own both a legend and a titan. I dive almost always deep 120 plus and cold 45 deg or colder and have no problems with either reg I do have a cold water kit on my titan.

For the special that they have going pay the few extra bucks and get the free octo. if the special wasn't going on go with everyone else.

My wife also has a titan that isn't cold water and it is still a great reg she loves it.

For your diving the Titan LX should be fine. The only real difference for you to be concerned about is the adjustment knob. If you have the adjustment knob when it comes time to service most dive centers will set the cracking effort, how hard it is to start the air flow when you begin to breathe, slightly lower since you have an adjustment knob to tighten if you happen to get a slight leak.

The internals of the regs are nearly identical and you would doubtfully ever notice a difference between the breathing effort of the two unless one was adjusted incorrectly. The titan LX has the same internals and balancing in the second stage as Apeks and the legend second stages and will breathe just as well.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom