Stiletto vs. Ranger Limited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideways

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is my dilema. Both have there pros and cons, but I can't decide which to go with for my everyday BCD. Cost isn't a factor, so it's do I want the lighter, travelable Stiletto? Or the rugged and functional Ranger Limited? Im new to diving, but not new to the ocean.....so I really see me progressing quickly in my training and abilities.

Which would be the better choice for someone who will be diving once a week?

Cheers!!!

Greg

Either BC will work fine for you, so it really comes down to a couple of determining factors:

1. Do you want to be able to dive double tanks with the BC?

If the answer is yes, the Ranger LTD will allow you to do that. The Stiletto will not.

If the answer is no, my next question would be do you intend to travel with the BC regularly?

If so, the Stiletto will pack up and travel a little better.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott.

Travel will be a factor, and was actually the original reason I was looking at the Stiletto. Turns out I'll be doing much more diving at home in SoCal now. So, while the "Packability" aspect of the Stiletto is a big plus.....90% of my diving will be here. So I guess the question would be, is the Stiletto going to provide enough features, i.e. D-rings, etc...For me to "Grow into" so to speak, as I progress with my certs and skills? Double tanks?? I don't have the faintest idea if I will do this in the next 5 years, but I guess it's a consideration.

Cheers!!

Greg

Why not look at the Zeagle Brigade from Scuba Toys? Then you have doubles capability, plus a travel BC that's almost a full-on Ranger, just a lighter wing.

Why not look at the Zeagle Brigade from Scuba Toys? Then you have doubles capability, plus a travel BC that's almost a full-on Ranger, just a lighter wing.

wow...hadn't seen that guy! Very interesting...I'll give it a good hard look when I can after work tonight. Thanks for the heads up!! :)

More important (imo) than D rings is capacity, both weight, and lift. Long beach isn't exactly tropical. If you're wearing a 7mm or a drysuit you might need more lead than the 30# capacity of the stiletto (sure it has the rear pockets but I never like to put more weight on a BC than its lift capacity). I'd say go with the ranger and if packability becomes an issue you can always get a smaller bladder for travel.

More important (imo) than D rings is capacity, both weight, and lift. Long beach isn't exactly tropical. If you're wearing a 7mm or a drysuit you might need more lead than the 30# capacity of the stiletto (sure it has the rear pockets but I never like to put more weight on a BC than its lift capacity). I'd say go with the ranger and if packability becomes an issue you can always get a smaller bladder for travel.

Thats a very good point Steve. Being a noob I don't know exactly how much lead I'll have to carry. I'll be wearing a Xcel 9/7/6 semi-dry, my buddy who wears a 7mm and is about 10lbs lighter uses 8lbs with steel tanks and 16lbs with the aluminum 80's here in Cali. The more I think about it and hear feedback, the more I'm leaning towards the Ranger. Thanks for the valuble input everyone!

Greg

You could always buy them both:D

I'm considering a Stiletto myself, since I only dive tropical (well, the occasional lake dive here in Colorado, but the Stiletto should be fine for that)

I've owned a Ranger LTD for about 5 years now. So far it's been bulletproof except for needing to change a sticky inflator ($25) last year. Probably lack of cleaning on my part. Best thing about the LTD is the Lumbar pad, it makes floating on the surface almost a pleasure. My buddy has a regular Ranger and he added one after seeing mine.

While waiting for the new inflator on backorder, I bought a Stiletto, thinking that it would be easier to travel with. It likely is, it's smaller and just fit into my airline approved roller bag - as long as I didn't pack much else in there.

Can you change the wing on a Stiletto? afaik most of the Zeagle wings can be changed on the Ranger in a couple of minutes. So if you go to doubles, you could buy their 65 lb. wing if needed.

Both were equally well-made and fit well but after thinking about it for a couple of days, I returned the Stiletto unused.

My reasons:

Since all my other gear wouldn't fit in my roller, I'm always checking a bag anyway. Since my fins won't fit. And I like to change clothes daily. Especially in the tropics.

I travel with regs, video gear and some non-dive stuff in the roller bag and most everything else in a heavy-duty non-dive logo'ed rolling duffle bag. Stuffed full with stuff I invariably wind up bringing back unused it tops out at about 45lbs. max.

Maybe it's just familiarity but the Ranger was more comfortable in the shoulders than the Stiletto with weight in it. I never tried it with a tank though.

hth,

Thanks Steve..... that deffinatly helps. I've been leaning towards the Ranger LTD, but I am also taking a good look at the Brigade offered by scubatoys that Highdesert mentioned in this thread. Good to know about the lumbar support!

Cheers,

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom