Stiletto tank bands ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking about removing the lower tank band on my Stiletto. Has anyone had a problem doing this?

Although I have not done it, I have often thought about it. I have to ask why do you want to take it off? I watch tanks wiggle around on divers quite a bit, and I dive with a long steel 120 that the 2 bands hold nice and snug.

I don't see it as a problem...but other than switching out tanks, why would you do it?

Joe

Thanks for you response.
I have found that on most dive boats my BCD won't fit in the tank holders. The lower strap keeps it from the holder.
Also, I'm trying to reduce weight and drag. Have removed the weight bags from the strap and gone to all Miflex hoses on my Reg. and Octo. & PSG.

All of my diving is warm water and includes a lot of travel. Just trying to strip down my equipment.
Think that removing the lower strap on a back inflate will cause the tank to drift around?

Scott will be leaving an input in about a day about this. I may be new but I would think the advantages does not outweigh the benefits in taking the lower tank band off. From my observation a lot of the popular BCD's with one tank band towards the top are hard pack designed plus has a rubber type pad to keep the tank from rocking around.

The Zeagle on the other hand is a soft pack and probably does need the two tank bands on.

The biggest problem that you will find is that the tank band also holds on the bladder, so if you remove it your bladder will only ba attached at the top.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that the drag you create will be about 1000 times more than you are getting off that tank band...

:wink:

Seriously though, the BC is made to be used with two tank bands, and the weight you save, as well as the drag, is pretty minimal.

Thanks,

Scott

I was thinking the same thing. "Weight and drag?" That strap can't weigh more than a few ounces.

And I love divers talking about how they're "streamlined." Ha! ha! A diver is about as streamlined as a cinder block. In addition, if you're moving slow (which you really should be) drag isn't much of a factor.

-Charles

Thanks Scott, thats what I thought.

Just got rid of my U.S.D.'s KAM EZ Pak a few years ago so wrangling a BCD is relatively new to me.
(yes, I am that old)

As far as drag is concerned, spend a few days in the Keys, being pulled behind a boat while bug hunting. You'll look for anything to reduce your profile.:D

Thanks Scott, thats what I thought.

Just got rid of my U.S.D.'s KAM EZ Pak a few years ago so wrangling a BCD is relatively new to me.
(yes, I am that old)

As far as drag is concerned, spend a few days in the Keys, being pulled behind a boat while bug hunting. You'll look for anything to reduce your profile.:D

That's the bug's revenge.

Back
Top Bottom