Sticky buttons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diving (Cooper River) this weekend and second day between the dives I've noticed that the buttons are sticking a bit.

Anyone else experienced that?

I haven't noticed any sticky buttons yet, but I've only got 8 dives on my SDA. Tonight, I'll be adding another dive. I'll pay close attention to button stickiness and report back tomorrow.

In the mean time, do you rinse or soak your SDA after your dives? When I get home after a dive, I soak my SDA in tap water for about an hour, then I rinse it off and slide each button a few times while rinsing. So far, it's worked for me.

YMMV

Ron

This was fresh water dive.

I have emailed them to see what the preferred lubricant of choice is. the times i've seen sticky buttons is when i didn't rinse it for a dive or two after salt water dives, and a quick rinse fixed it, but being that this was fresh water... Did the buttons still stick underwater?

This was fresh water dive.

There still could be some small bit of something, sand, vegetation, or whatever, that could have ended up in the switch mechanism. That's why I always rinse my SDA with tap water after a dive.

Ron

I've had a problem with a sticky botton once, due to some sand. Was easily solved by removing the cover and cleaning it with clean, fresh water.

Ok, I guess I'll check it again. I did soak it after second day of diving. However this was sticking on a second day between the dives when I just came out of the river.

yes, pop off the cover and see if there is any sand or grit or seaweed...

this was a river, was there silt thrown up by the current or a chance the computer get mucked around a bit? fine silty stuff can have similar effect to salt crystals

is it all the buttons or just one. All the buttons lends itself to debris in there...

if it's just one button, remove the cover, take a look at the rubber spring elements and make sure they are in position. If one has moved, return to position (you can glue it with a drop of instant adhesive). If this is not possible, they will replace the cover.

Yeah, plenty of silt after all we were fossil hunting :wink:

I'll have to get the tool from home (on the road now) but up/down left/right were one sticking. Rinsing did help a bit.

heheheh... that sheds a bit more silt on the situation :wink:

sounds like a silt issue... just rinse it well under running water (or swish it around really well), that should resolve the problem. if not, you may need to remove the cover and rinse it to get the residual out... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom