Sticky Abuse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
I can see the value of stickys for local diving and dive boats, but why are stickys being used for hurricanes and dive trips now? I mean, it's not like there aren't other events going on (especially considering the dive trip is a regional event). As for the hurricane stickys I think the media does a much better job of providing *up to date* information and the thread could fend for itself among other "more relevant" topics... let the posters decide!

Am I all wet or what? Geez... I *wish* I was all wet, but that's another complaint...

MikeJacobs:
Am I all wet or what? Geez... I *wish* I was all wet, but that's another complaint...
I think we all wish we could be wet at the moment, not stuck behind desks or repairing houses post hurricane! :wink:

OK so here is another chance to display my newbie-ness to the cyber world.

What exactly is a sticky thread?
Does that mean it stays at the top of the list of posts?
If so for how long?
-Mike

MikeJacobs:
I can see the value of stickys for local diving and dive boats, but why are stickys being used for hurricanes and dive trips now? I mean, it's not like there aren't other events going on (especially considering the dive trip is a regional event). As for the hurricane stickys I think the media does a much better job of providing *up to date* information and the thread could fend for itself among other "more relevant" topics... let the posters decide!

Welllllllllllllllll.... the dive one is a Public Service type of dive that is being set up as an educational event and had 4 hurricanes not hit the state in 3 weeks, it'd have been done and expired already. Sheeesh.. get out and dive or something... haven't the surf waves and rip tides slowed down there yet???

CBulla:
Welllllllllllllllll.... the dive one is a Public Service type of dive that is being set up as an educational event and had 4 hurricanes not hit the state in 3 weeks, it'd have been done and expired already. Sheeesh.. get out and dive or something... haven't the surf waves and rip tides slowed down there yet???
Yup, they've **finally** slowed down but there's still a good breeze so it will be churned for at least another weekend. Of course it will take a while for the whole ATLANTIC OCEAN to calm down!

My point is that comparing the "Dive Boat" and Local Diving sticky-threads to the others contrasts clearly what "works" as a sticky and what doesn't. Maybe the test you should use before committing something to a sticky should be (a) will this save bandwidth and (b) does everybody care about this thread? (a) saves repeat threads and (b) will help eliminate everything else.

Just my $0.05... inflation, y'know!

mgersch@cox.net:
OK so here is another chance to display my newbie-ness to the cyber world.

What exactly is a sticky thread?
Does that mean it stays at the top of the list of posts?
If so for how long?
-Mike
Yup, they stay at the top of the list until they're "unstuck." The way they get there in the first place is that somebody thinks it's the *most important information* ever. It saves repeat questions - like where to dive or who to dive with - but also has the effect of pushing sometimes more lively and broader-interest discussions to the second page where they die.

MikeJacobs:
Yup, they stay at the top of the list until they're "unstuck." The way they get there in the first place is that somebody thinks it's the *most important information* ever. It saves repeat questions - like where to dive or who to dive with - but also has the effect of pushing sometimes more lively and broader-interest discussions to the second page where they die.

thanks
-Mike

This is the Club and group section of the forum. You can't have a club or group without people. I think the hurricane threads make it easy for the participants in this forum to check out the status easily on their fellow posters. Its much easier to check on the well being of our posters in a sticky than it is to search around for a thread that keeps getting knocked back. Granted, you'll want to use the media as your main source of hurricane forecasting, but its nice to know what your friends plans are when disaster is on the way.

Stickied threads don't take anymore bandwidth than any other threads...

I guess everyone has their own respective spair change :wink:

Mike,
Ok, now I understand WHAT a "sticky" is.
The question is... can only moderators create a "sticky"?
I'd hate to accidentally create a STICKY thread.
Can you PM me and let me know?
I would like to stay on the "good side" of the moderators. And being fully informed helps me do that!
Sincerely,
Trish The Fish

MikeJacobs:

Don't worry - only the Mods can make stickys - you can't do it accidently!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom