Sticker Gunk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MuddyFox

Reaction score
What do you guys use to remove the gunk/residue left by the stickers that manufacturers think is a good idea to plaster all over your equipment? My housing had stickers all over it, and no matter how slowly I peeled them off, the residue remained. It seems like no matter what I try the problem spreads!

Thanks Sony! Ya, I know the features of my camera THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT IT.

I have never tried this with dive gear before (so take it with a grain of salt) -

But when I need to remove the sticky residue from price stickers off of a surface like clear plastic, glass, etc. - I use nail polish remover.

I'm assuming your camera housing is a clear plastic type material -I don't know how the nail polish would work with other things that have painted surfaces.

MuddyFox once bubbled...
What do you guys use to remove the gunk/residue left by the stickers that manufacturers think is a good idea to plaster all over your equipment?

Must be a SONY thing. I had the same problem, but with a SONY receiver.

Look for a product call GOO GONE. It works great! I bought it at Home Depot, but I've seen it at other places.

Marc

Do not use fingernail polish remover - it'll eat plastics.
What does work quite well and is harmless to just about everything is a little vegetable oil and a soft cloth.
Rick

Rick's right...it eats plastic.

WD-40 works pretty good on most everything but since it's your housing...better go with the veg. oil.

So that's why I have holes and those little scuff marks on everything! (just kidding) :D Seriously though, I never noticed any damage to the stuff I used it on - but I probably was just lucky.

Never tried vegetable oil before - I'll keep that in mind. I've tried Goo Gone before, though - that works pretty ok.

FLL Diver once bubbled...
... Look for a product call GOO GONE. It works great! I bought it at Home Depot, but I've seen it at other places.

Marc

I've used this, and something else with a very similar name to remove "label residual".

The only time I've used nail polish remover is when I don't care what may happen to the surface I'm cleaning -- usually on metal, but never on plastic (even the acetone-free stuff is hard on plastic).

You could try this. I've done it numerous times with smooth plastic surfaces. Take a strip of sticky tape, stick it over the gooky, scratch the tape and make sure the sticky side is fused with the gooky bit and peel it off really quick.When you peel it, don't do it from the corner but try and lift the whole tape. If the glue from the tape comes off, continue with another strip till it's all gone. You'll have to do this pretty fast though....meaning, stick,peel,stick,peel. Good luck!!

Never use acetone or nail polish remover on any plastic that you care about the finish.
When removing glue...tape...magic marker from lexan I use denatured alcohol or wd-40. the veg oil should work also. Just keep rubbing the oil or wd in with your fingers. Avons' Skin SO Soft will work wonders removing glue residue also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom