Steel tanks dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been told to consider dry suits when diving steel tanks. I have bee diving them for years - in both wet and drysuit. But never really see if that is true. Several hundred dives later, I have not died yet! That is a YET. So I descended to 80 ft today with 120 HP single steel. 4 lbs ditchable weight, and 2 none. No backplates. Tried to fin up, but barely able to maintain more than 1 minute when the BC is empty. I had a small pony too, which is like another 2 lbs. I tried the lift bag. It worked, but not well. The dump valve is high, but lacking good control as a lot of air has to be added before you can dump. So the large lift bag as a redundant BC is not ideal. Suggestions to make diving safer with steel tanks? Thicker wetsuits? Better brand lift bags? Always dive where there is a safe hard bottom? Please do not say drysuit??

@fisherdvm , you always seem to ask your questions in the most alarmist fashion. Placing this kind of thread title in the Basic Forum is, to me, a bit irresponsible.

Let's ask your question another way, shall we? For a beginning scuba diver, what do I need to know about diving in a wetsuit with extra fixed weight? And the answer is simple: wetsuits compress at depth, losing much of their buoyancy.

So in your case, it is perhaps not surprising that you couldn't fin up easily with an empty bcd. That is why divers carry redundant lift. It sounds like you need some instruction in the use of your lift bag, and perhaps in choosing the right one for this particular job, to manage buoyancy. There are other, better ways to handle this.

If you want to look at this in detail, and perhaps to evaluate the value of PARTIAL weight ditching, which is not a good topic for the Basic Forum, please consult this tool: Buoyancy, Balanced Rigs, Failures and Ditching – a comprehensive tool
Oops, lol! I see @guruboy beat me to it!

You would have more weight on your belt if you were diving aluminium tanks and at the bottom of your dive wouod be exactly the same amount negative as you were with the steel tank u less you are over weighted but then at 700 dives you should have got that dialed in by now.
Your question shoukd not be how do i dive safer with steel tanks but how should i dive better full stop.

I don't know how big you are, or what wetsuit you used, but assuming you were properly weighted here is some data from the spreadsheet mentioned above, that suggests you didn't need your lift bag at all. This is properly an advanced topic, but you have raised the issue, so I'll discuss it:

A 5'10" 175# muscular diver wearing a 5 mm wetsuit and hood with the worst 120CuFt steel tank for buoyancy (-7 lb empty) might require 6# weight as you did, to be neutrally buoyant.
His wetsuit, which provided about 21# of lift on the surface, is compressed at 80 ft so it now only provides 7# of buoyancy.
Thus, at the beginning of the dive, carrying almost 10# of air, with a bcd failure, he is over 17# negatively buoyant. Thus, your observation is correct: a bcd failure is a struggle. A buddy could help; a lift bag could help; and partial weight ditching could help.

If this diver ditched 4# out of his total 6# carried lead at that moment, he would be only 13# negative, which is a manageable negative buoyancy to fin up for a short while. As he rose, his wetsuit would expand, and things would get easier. With this new weighting, he would arrive at the surface only 0.4lb negatively buoyant, and could ditch his rig at that point.

If this emergency arose halfway through the dive, the diver is only 12# negative, because he has consumed 5# of air. Ditching 2#, he can swim up 10# briefly, until wetsuit expansion takes over. He is then neutral at 12 feet (0# buoyant), and can do a normal safety stop. Continuing up, he arrives 2.7# positive, and can ditch the other 2# and rest, awaiting pickup.

Or his buddy could have helped him. Or he could have used a lift bag for the first 60 feet or so, and then released it.

No, you don't need a drysuit. But you do need to plan, and MOST IMPORTANT, you need to be properly weighted. If you are overweighted, on top of what you have described, you are placing yourself needlessly at risk.

Dive Safe!

Regarding the loss of buoyancy in a wet suit at depth, once below around 3 atm there is no significant buoyancy. Further, gas spaces within the body compress at depth, further reducing buoyancy. So for simplicity the buoyancy at depth is zero.

The worst case for a BCD failure is at the beginning of the dive, once at depth. At that point one has no buoyancy from their wetsuit and a full cylinder of gas. So the example above (which is not quite correct at depth is negative 24 lbs not 17 lbs)*. At depth the wet suit loss is 21 lbs and the gas in the cylinder is 10 lbs. So a total of 31 lbs negative. One could dump the 4 lbs of lead and reduce it to 27 lbs. But one is going to struggle mightily to swim that up.

Options, dry suit, redundant bcd bladder, lift bag, different cylinder.

*the example had the wetsuit losing 14 lbs of buoyancy at depth coupled with the 10 lbs for the gas in the cylinder make 24 lbs.

5 lbs of weight, full 3 mm is a safe amount for me with a 120 hp. With a 80 hp, just 2 lbs. Soft bcd. No steel or alu back plate. I believe this should be a basic scuba discussion as it it relevant to all divers who desire to shed weight using steel tank. I am a short diver, so a stubby steel tank balance better than a tall standard size tank.

If I go to 3 lbs of ditchable weight, I cannot hold a safety stop with 500 psi. But I agree with many others - we should think twice and think well about BC failure with steel tank. So when it does happen - the mind is already in the planning mode - ditch weight? Get the smb? Buddy?

By the way, if you want to dive big steel, there are good choices for tanks with close to 0 buoyancy when empty. Like the Faber FX120: -0.65lb empty, with valve!
At the other end of the spectrum is the Heiser 120: -17.8 lb empty!!! Not a good choice for a wetsuit diver.

If I go to 3 lbs of ditchable weight, I cannot hold a safety stop with 500 psi. But I agree with many others - we should think twice and think well about BC failure with steel tank. So when it does happen - the mind is already in the planning mode - ditch weight? Get the smb? Buddy?
You keep saying steel tank why is a steel different to an aluminium?

Back
Top Bottom