Steel Tank VS Aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If no one else has mentioned it, there is a difference in diameter as well for many steels vs. aluminum. I happen to dive both. If I started over and had the money I would NOT own any aluminum other than sling/stage/pony bottles. There are just too many benefits to steel. Steels rarely fail a hydro either.

I would be diving steel except for two things:

1) Cost, they are a bit more expensive, or a lot! :D

2) Corrosion. They tend to corrode more easily vs. Alum.

The buoyancy characteristics are generally nice. More air in a smaller space, and the are negative at the end of a dive. So less weight on/in the belt/pockets.

I've been looking for some used steel for a while now. Steel does not appear to be popular in our area. If I lived in a better dive area, I'd definitely purchase some HP 95's, and pay the piper. Living here, I generally don't use 1500psi on a local dive, and not much more than 2000psi at the hole, so steel while nice, is not all that necessary for the diving we do locally.

Here's my two cents since we seem to have about the same amount of experience diving...

I started with 2 new AL80's cause they were cheap in comparison to two new steel tanks and I usually do 2 tank dives when I go out on my local dive boat. As I looked around and talked with other divers, I noticed many of them had steel tanks and wondered what the fuss was all about. So I ponied up and purchased a HP steel 100 tank to see the difference. The steel tank was a little shorter but much heavier of course, also it's a 100 cu ft vs the 80 cu ft in the AL tanks. So even though my SAC rate is pretty decent I was longing for more bottom time and deeper depths, the steel 100 allowed me to do that. I was able to push further and deeper with the steel 100 than the 80 simply because of the cu ft of air difference, but the compact size of the cylinder really made a difference as well.

I like the fact that I can carry less weight with the steel tank as well. The circumference of the two cylinders isn't that much different and I don't recall having to adjust my tank strap to use either type, they both fit fine without adjustments.

Now that being said, I'd love to complete the set of steels and get a second, but price is a bit restrictive to buy them in pairs right out of the gate or too closely together. They are also heavier as well so if you're doing a lot of shore diving then lugging steel tanks isn't going to be much fun.

Hope that helps for what it's worth. Happy & safe diving!

Perhaps the material isn't the question.

Steel is expensive; then again, the best always usually costs more. On the other hand, AL has always been the standard offering on every ocean dive trip that I've been fortunate enough to go on. The reasons for-or-against are both valid and varied.

Generally speaking, if you have a specific dive application that you're looking to optimize, then steel is tough to beat. Steel's combination of variety, size, strength, capacity, and buoyancy characteristics are unmatched. If you want to perfect your skills against the equipment profile you'll more than likely see on your next vacation, then training with AL may be the way to go.

Obviously there can be other considerations. As with many decisions in scuba, the best solutions may be based around an examination of the expected environmental factors vs. equipment availability, performance, and costs.

In other words, figure-out what you need and why, then choose from a short-list of avialable quality equipment options that best meets your needs.

My dad can beat up your dad!

:argument: :deadhorse:

I would not agree with how long they last, I have recently seen quite a few steel tanks fail hydro, some at their first hydro (5years old). I have 1 AL that has 4-5 hyrdro's on it now. That's not to say steels is better or worse, but longevity should not really be a concern.
hummm... I have steel tanks from the 1950's (9 hydro's) , 60's, 70's, and 80's and they all pass hydro's with no prob. I have never had a steel tank fail, wile all 3 of my aluminum's have failed, and they were way newer than the steel. I have heard that the "new" HP steel tanks fail more often.

Al80's are a great tank is you plan to travel for a good portion of your diving, this allows you to become familiar with the buoyancy and trim of the tank that you will be renting with you get wherever you go.
you get use to it, just add 3-4 lbs of lead when using aluminum compared to a 72

Thanks for the advice...I think I'll stick with the AL's just b/c of the travel issue. Diving dry is an interest, but that will have to wait for now. I wish I could afford to buy a set of both :(
What travel Issue?

i would just buy another AL 80, its better to have similar tanks to keep your weighting the same so you dont have to keep messing with it. Only way i would go steel is if i was looking to get more into tech type diving or making a switch to steel and would buy a 2nd steel in the near future and get rid of the al 80 or use it as a spare for when your getting a hydro done, have company, or may be doing 3 dives in a day
Switching tanks is not a big deal, you learn how much lead to add or subtract for each tank, I have 12 tanks with 5 different buoyancy's. It doesn't get confusing till you have 5 wetsuit configurations depending on temperature.

I will most likely never buy another AL tank, I just don't like them as much and they don't last 55+ years

I vote for you getting a steel used 72 and never looking back. An LP 95 is a good big tank to.

And search your local craigslist, there is always good stuff on it.

something to read
How to Select a SCUBA Tank - Dive Gear Express

Huh??......You can get steels which hold the same volume of air as steels.....Try them and see what you like. Heavier steels may make you roll onto your back ...If you get a larger tank...

if you have al 80 already, buy another one.
this way you dont have to adjust your weight between dives.
i dive both depending on situation.
if i am with students i dive al 80, if fun diving i use steels.

I recently sold my aluminum tanks and got two steels. I love them, they hold more air for the size and keep the weights out of my pockets since they generally stay more negative. Plus DIN is the way to go.

Assuming we're talking about a single tank, and AL80 vs HP100:

AL80 pros:
  • cheap
  • available everywhere
  • what you'll find for rental, so no need to adjust your gear when you travel
  • flat bottom, so can be used without boot if you object to boots

AL80 cons:
  • buoyant at the end of the dive, that means you need extra ballast (I'm at 19 with AL80, 12 with HP100)
  • relatively light even at the beginning of the dive, which makes sitting in the water less comfortable with a back inflation BC or BP/W.
  • actually 77cft, a lot less than a HP100
  • doesn't live as long as a steel tank
  • a bit too long physically for the average diver

HP100 pros:
  • always negative, so you need to carry less ballast (that's a cons if you dive tropical and don't need ballast at all with steel)
  • more air for approximately the same total tank weight
  • HP100 as a lot more gas than a AL80
  • diver weight distribution is balanced further back, which makes sitting in the water more comfortable
  • lasts forever (if cared for appropriately)
  • more compact than an AL80
  • failure modes are supposed to be less dangerous in steel than AL

HP100 cons:
  • expensive
  • round bottom - get a boot or be prepared to hold to it often
  • not what you'll rent - so you need to be prepared to adjust your gear when you travel

Tell me if I forgot anything, I'll add it to the list.
Nice summary! Agree with all (except longevity of ALs). Bottom line for me is I use the AL 80s. Main reasons are: lower cost (4 divers in the family!), I don't need the extra air (well, except for occasionally lobstering and I carry a pony), I only use 2lbs of wt with AL tanks most of the year, so steels overweigh me a lot (+6lbs over AL).

Oh, and get the ProDIN valves...Its a DIN with an insert that makes it a yoke. Great flexibility for little cost.

I love my steel 80 HP. You don't have to get a 100 if you go steel. the steel 80 is about the size of an aluminun 63

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom