Steel tank volume question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier:
It does what??? Come on RoatanMan, I hope this was just a shot at weird humor. If you really have 3000+ dives I hope you know better.

Roatanman is correct.
Different metals have different moduli of elasticity.
Even granite stone has a modulus of elasticity.

the K

Orginal question=
Why does my Steel 104 @ 2640PSI contain more than your ALU80 @ 3000 PSI?

Answer by Roatanman
Steel s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s more. Elasticity, you know.

The Kraken:
Roatanman is correct.
Different metals have different moduli of elasticity.
Even granite stone has a modulus of elasticity.

the K

I realize different metals have different properties of elasticity. So does plastic and rubber.

The way I read Roatanmans answer, it says the steel tank stretches more thus allowing a larger volume of air in a tank of the same size. Is that the way it actually works? I thought it was because in of the interior volume of the tanks. Guess we're always learning new things.

You should have just sprung for high pressure tanks
i have a steel 80 that is about 2 feet tall, and i have a pair od 120's that are just a few inches taller than an alumminum 80

Lead_carrier:
Orginal question=
Why does my Steel 104 @ 2640PSI contain more than your ALU80 @ 3000 PSI?

Answer by Roatanman
Steel s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s more. Elasticity, you know.

I realize different metals have different properties of elasticity. So does plastic and rubber.

The way I read Roatanmans answer, it says the steel tank stretches more thus allowing a larger volume of air in a tank of the same size. Is that the way it actually works? I thought it was because in of the interior volume of the tanks. Guess we're always learning new things.
No, it's about a combination of interior volume and the strength of the material (and therefore it's ability to withstand a higher pressure).

If it was all about elasticity, tanks would swell up like balloons when you filled 'em.

There is a miniscule amount of elasticity at play, but not signficant. Else your empty tanks would drop right out of your now-too-loose cam bands every time you sucked them empty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom