Steel Tank question, vs alum.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have looked up info on steel tanks,i find that i could use less wt in bc if i go to steel,however wt on back instead of front.
Will this make my dive more unbalanced ,harder swimming etcc..?
How will i benefit over alum tanks and is it worth it to go steel?
Steel is more pricey and there is always chance of internal moistier problem.
What size is best for steel or aluminum
I am a sport diver but i like a little edge when i can get it.:biggrin3:
one thing i think to is if your using lead wt in integrated bc it seems the more wt you put in pockets the more stress on them pockets ,where out faster.
is this a valid concern?
or am i just being an over thinker.

I choose to go with a steel tank instead of AL for a few reasons not in any particular order:

1. Wanted a bigget tank. I could only find AL 100s
2. Steel Tanks last longer in general
3. I liked the buoyancy qualities of steel tanks when empty... I wear very little weight and AL tanks make me more positive at the end of a dive than I like.

I'm sure there are other reasons to buy a steel tank, but those are my reasons... You should really consider what your needs are and go with what's best for you.

Steel worked out better for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting an edge & being a sport diver. Since I go through air too fast, a 130 cubic foot high-pressure steel tank was 'the best size' for me from the source I wanted to buy from (biggest I could get; elsewhere, there are larger). I'm a big guy & I can handle it.

Now, if you want to zip through the water & travel light, your needs may differ.

Richard.

I whole heartedly believe that steel is where it's at. You aren't carrying more weight on your back if you compare equal size tanks. An aluminum 80 is heavier than a PST HP80. But you can use a tank roughly the same weight, ie. HP100, and have 25% more gas. As for the potential for internal rust, if you take care of your tanks, they will out live aluminum by a long shot. My instructor and I were filling tanks for a pool session a couple weeks ago, and his "newest" steel 72 was from 1969. Yes they are more money, but to me the advantages outweighs the cost. As for what size is right, only you can decide that. I would suggest dive some different sized ones, talk to your LDS or instructor, and borrow some tanks from other divers and see how they feel.

Jim

As far as Im aware aluminium does also "rust" if they get water in them, the process is different, but aluminum also corrode and become.. well.. nothing if not treated properly..

Tigerman:
As far as Im aware aluminium does also "rust" if they get water in them, the process is different, but aluminum also corrode and become.. well.. nothing if not treated properly..

yeah you're absolutely right, they will get a layer of oxidation in them, that can be a serious problem. Aluminum also doesn't fatigue as well as steel which is one of the reasons they generally dont have as long of a lifespan. I have seen some very old aluminum tanks, but steels are usually much longer lived.

I originally went to steel tanks for weight reduction. I bought a steel 100 and took off10 pounds of lead weight. I liked it so much and wanted greater bottom time so I bought a steel 130. I'm extremely happy with both and switching from one to the other does not in any way affect trim in the water. A steel 130 is a little bigger around at 8 inches than the 100 which is the same diameter as an aluminum tank, but my bc is easy for me to reconfigure for either tank. They are heavy -- especially the 130, but you don't really notice it once it's on your back. I typically do most of my whining carry it around from the car to the boat/divesite. Yeah they cost more but for me the tradeoff of cash for steel was worth it!

There’s a lot of Pro’s and Con’s – look thru the tanks place in the forums, that’s what I did to choose – links and a lot of info.

I went for steel, An AL 80 doesn’t agree with my size, wanted capacity to keep up with my water heater friends and my AL 50’s didn’t meet their tolerance level LOL.
Wt is slightly noticeable more (higher) but I use little wt, (balancing with ditchable). Can roll easier and preferring a primary back inflate vs traditional vest but could be just the makes, with the back inflate tank is stable.
Need a DIN reg, very happy with that change. Love my tanks

In my case there were a lot of factors to consider primarily due to my size and weight capacity – from your questions I suggest more research with consideration of your diving goals. I wish I’d gone steel from the begin, however YMMV and I suspect you will not have my situation.

Jimmer:
yeah you're absolutely right, they will get a layer of oxidation in them, that can be a serious problem. Aluminum also doesn't fatigue as well as steel which is one of the reasons they generally dont have as long of a lifespan. I have seen some very old aluminum tanks, but steels are usually much longer lived.

Dosent all aluminium build up a layer of oxidation? If its such a problem why are the outsides of ali scuba tanks not covered in a protective paint layer and why dont ali boats corrode away?

The main advantage of aluminum is low price. Otherwise galvanized steel is the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom