Steel Tank and fitment on BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Recently decided to switch over to HP steel so I purchased an X8-119.

Got it filled and spent the rest of the night adjusting my tank bands to fit the new tank. (8" diameter). When trying the BC on, I was a bit shocked to find the tank "pulling" the BC right off me. With an AL80, the tank is held right up on my back. The steel tank felt like it was going to rip the BC right off of me. and it wasn't a stright down pull, it was more of feeling like it was tipping off my back.

Granted, the 119 is 10 lbs heavier, but I was surprised at the effect it had.

I dive using a Zeagle Brigade and played with moving the tank to the two extremes when mounting but didn't seem to make any difference.

Any thoughts?

Wet the straps on the BC before putting the tank on. Get someone to look at you when you're wearing the tank. If the straps go straight across, it's tight enough. If they're at an angle it means they're too lose and the only thing holding your tank in place is a small bit of friction from the strap, plus gravity.

The only difference is the weight and perhaps less than a half inch back on the valve. Perhaps your BC doesn't fit as well as you thought, or perhaps this is just how it is with more weight on the straps.

I switch between HP100 and HP119 very frequently with my bp/w, and aside from the weight, they feel the same on my back.

Back
Top Bottom