steel or alum B/P home and abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have both aluminum and stainless steel back plates. I started with the aluminum before I went dry because I was afraid of being too heavy with my double 72's. since then I have switched to steel B/P and love it. With a single tank and diving dry the aluminum B/P with an aluminum 80 is almost too light and requires extra lead.

I am going to fly to Texas soon and will be taking my B/P and wing and am wondering if I should take the alum or steel B/P. Now that I am acustomed to the steel will the alum mess me up? I don't know what exposure suit (if any) I will be using. The reason I don't know is the trip is to visit relatives but after going that far I am definately going to sneak away with my brother and get a little diving in. I am going to the New Braunsfel area. Any suggestions on which B/P to bring? Is steel too heavy for the plane or for no exposure suit? If it doesn't already show I am a cold water diver with no warm water experience.

One additional question, is there much difference between diving a steel B/P and an aluminum B/P with a 6 Lb. weight in the STA? (Haven't tried that yet).

Thanks for the advice

The advantage of alu is that it's strong enough n light enough for travel, you could always get some weight pockets for the difference but steel is way too heavy for my type of diving.

For most warm water dives steel is unnecessary.

SangP

I use my steel when diving warm water and I like it. But, yes, it is a few extra pounds in the luggage.

The luggage limit is still 50 lb., so I take my SS plate to salt water destinations where they have aluminum rental tanks. I've taken the weighted STA too, but that's sometimes pushing it on the way home with damp gear. The XSScuba weight pockets on the regular STA seem to work just as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom