Steel LP 130...too much gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phreak

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ive HAD it with my crummy little AL80. I'm serious, it threatens to cork me if it gets too low in pressure, say under 900 PSI. Keep in mind I've been adding a 6 lb tank weight...doesn't matter. It's awful.

So, a good friend is asking if I'm interested in buying his LP Steel 130. The price is great...but my god that's a lot of air.

Things I'm considering: Let me Know if I'm crazy here...

1.) I'll have it cleaned to Nitrox spec and fill it with 32 EAN...etc, etc because I'm interested in diving longer than 45 minutes, and I have never been deeper than 110 feet anyways. My diving is avg. of 60' range at the deepest.

My SAC is pretty good actually, not an air hog at all. : )

2.) I'm diving with a DUI Delta, single bladder 50 lbs lift. Is this BC enough to handle a LP130...even if I drop 5-6 lbs off the weight pouches? I suspect YES. Have any of yall dove this gear configuration exactly?

3.) My diving thus far has been classical PADI dives, just reached 200 no-deco obliged dives in Puget Sound. Not chasing after wreck/ tech certs, so is this tank overkill?

Something about me: 5' 11" 170 lbs. Stock body size 'Large'. Compressed neo suit, currently wear 28 lbs of weight...

Let's discuss, ready! GO!

Thanks- Jim

I have a couple of 120's that I use in cold water when I'm diving dry. Takes too much lead without a steel tank and the tank gives ya all the gas you can want, especially at rec depths. Why not?

I have been diving a 130 (HP).
Use a DUI Delta rig. have had no problems.
Was able to drop some lead off due to steel, was using wetsuit.

Steel LP 130...too much gas?

The price is great...but my god that's a lot of air.

I've never ended a dive thinking "Great dive, but I wish I had gone OOA!"

:)

I have a HP 130 and do recreational-only diving....it works great for that. You always have the option of not filling it to max capacity...like do a mid pressure (3000 psi-ish) fill if you are doing a shallower and shorter dive. I think the only reason to do that is so you won't be lugging the few extra pounds of air that you won't be using...so you won't be as negative at the beginning of the dive and therefore need a little less air management in your BC. I like my 130 because even if I get a hot fill and it settles to something less than full capacity, then I know I still have enough gas for the diving that I do. You are 5'11" so I don't think the tank will feel way too long on you. Your BC will handle it fine - just get that tank strap wet and crank it down tight. The other advantage of a larger capacity tank is it give you more time to do a nice slow ascent and longer than 3 min. safety stop.

Here is a blog post I made regarding some tips on buying a tank based on my decision process to get the 130:
Tips on buying a SCUBA tank : SCUBA Blog

I love my HP130. it is a great tank and feels nice to dive. lots-o-air is a nice thing. If i am going to carry it to the beach I might as well make it last

Another endorsement for the HP 130s. My wife and I both dive them on most or our dives below 75 ft, and they are not that noticeable for the huge increase in dive time and gas reserve you get.

Phreak, diving in seattle and the profile that you use, if 75 cf' left you can do two dives on one tank, just remamber to add weidght for a 130 at 500 psi. this is effective when travel shoredive.
Plus cut your air fill price in half.

Back
Top Bottom