Steel bands cover manuf. and VIP stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought two brand-new LP85 tanks. I am about to double them up, but the sticker from the manufacturer and the VIP sticker from the store I bought them from will be covered up when I put the steel bands on. Is this going to present a problem when I try to fill the tanks? Will I have to remove the bands so they can see the sticker? Thanks for the help.

Remove the stickers...all of them, along with any tank boots. Then Go back to the place you bought them from after installing the bands and have them install two new VIP stickers only. I would say for free too since they probably knew you wanted to build doubles. Actually I would say free either way, since you supported them by purchasing your tanks from them.

What is on the sticker from the manufacturer?

You might ask your LDS for replacement VIP stickers- They might throw them in for free, especially if you bought the tanks and bands from them.

Removing the bands will be a big pain- if it comes to that, I would just pay for another VIP.

1) Take manufacturer's sticker (from the original Worthington or Faber manufacturer) and throw it in the trash. It should come off easily.

2) Remove VIP sticker.

3) Install manifold/bands.

4) Put VIP stickers on tanks.

Actually before you do any/all of that, I would forget about doubles for now. You have <50 dives -- seriously, go get some more experience before you think about doubles. There's a LOT you can see on a single LP85.

Thanks. I called the store, and they told me to first try and remove/replace the stickers and that, if that didn't work, to call them and they would see me new stickers free of charge. I would have just taken the tanks back to the store, but it is about 700 miles away from me, unfortunately.

Actually before you do any/all of that, I would forget about doubles for now. You have <50 dives -- seriously, go get some more experience before you think about doubles. There's a LOT you can see on a single LP85.

This seems like this is the most common response to anyone who asks a question about transitioning doubles.

My question is; why not transition to doubles?

1) Take manufacturer's sticker (from the original Worthington or Faber manufacturer) and throw it in the trash. It should come off easily.

2) Remove VIP sticker.

Need to update my profile....I have just over 70 dives now. I agree with you not to rush it, however. For what it's worth, my main reason for starting with doubles now is that I plan on aiming for my Fundies/Tech pass at the end of this year. Fortunately, I have a friend who is full cave certified who is going to mentor me with respect to diving doubles.

Warming up the stickers a bit with a hairdryer will make them come off better. Light heat just to warm them. Don't overdue it.

2) Remove VIP sticker.

I was sifting through some other threads regarding diving doubles and came across this comment that you made on December 9, 2007:

"My first dive in doubles was dive 40, with a set of LP95s. Didn't really have any issues -- I found them to be quite stable."

Not at all trying to call anybody out, but I'm just curious why the change of heart? In other words, do you regret that you started to dive doubles at dive 40 and, if so, why?

This is why we discourage the use of the search function :D

At the risk of putting words into his mouth, I think Sparticle is just encouraging that you get squared away with the basics first. That might happen at dive 10, dive 100, or dive 1000. (Or dive 2, dive 4, or dive 8- if you are down with base 2)

Your mentor should be able to give you some guidance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom