Steel bands cover manuf. and VIP stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll throw out something else that I don't believe has been touched on -- for me (and many others have said this as well), the valves on doubles are much easier to reach than on a single tank setup.

I was sifting through some other threads regarding diving doubles and came across this comment that you made on December 9, 2007:

"My first dive in doubles was dive 40, with a set of LP95s. Didn't really have any issues -- I found them to be quite stable."

Not at all trying to call anybody out, but I'm just curious why the change of heart? In other words, do you regret that you started to dive doubles at dive 40 and, if so, why?

Touché, if you dive like you do your homework you'll be fine. Hehe…

DA Aquamaster:
I think the current trend toward discouraging divers from using doubles until they reach X level of training, does them a diservice. It makes the process of transitioning harder and does help perpetuate the doubles mystique, but the idea that limiting the use of doubles or the gas they carry will keep divers safer is fatally flawed as poor judgment is poor judgment and that has nothing to do with a single or double tank.
Most divers I've seen who switch to doubles don't do it because they need them for a particular type of diving. Rather, they switch because everyone else around them is diving doubles, and they don't want to be the only one in a single tank setup. Peer pressure is a big motivator..."All the cool kids dive doubles!"
Why divers switch probably has something to do with location, peer group, and diver age. In contrast to the peer pressure motivation, most of the divers I see that switch do so for practical reasons - they want to dive a little deeper (than 130), or stay a little longer, than a single tank allows. Or, they simply don't want to change tanks on a rocking boat off the coast between dives. Both posts appropriately point out that there is a certain 'mystique' asociated with doubles, and that this situation is unfortunate - divers may be drawn to them, or actively avoid them, for the wrong reasons. Several years ago, I saw a double AL80 setup on display in my LDS, described as a 'great coastal rig', and thought, 'Boy, that's dumb. Why not just dive a HP130?' Now, I own two sets of double 80s and think they are perfect for gas supply, buoyancy / trim, and dry weight handling. I see no reason for someone to switch to doubles earlier in their diving career, if they remain focused on the fact that good buoyancy / trim is still fundamental to good diving (is something to be mastered and continually refined and improved), that doubles are not somehow a panacea to offset poor judgement while diving, and learning to dive them properly involves much more than simply assembling them and dropping down to 130ft to start learning how to dive them.
SparticleBrane:
... the valves on doubles are much easier to reach than on a single tank setup.
You can reach your valve on a single tank set-up?:D

Touché, if you dive like you do your homework you'll be fine. Hehe…
...did you even read my reply...? :11:

Colliam7 -- it's a struggle to reach it currently in a single tank setup, due to my ridiculously thick and restrictive wetsuit. Usually I don't have too much of an issue reaching the valves.

it's a struggle to reach it currently in a single tank setup, due to my ridiculously thick and restrictive wetsuit. Usually I don't have too much of an issue reaching the valves.
I mentioned it because I was just thinking about that last evening - could I reach my valve easily on a single rig? Putting aside for a moment the reasons why I might want to, I presume I can but haven't ever done so the same way I reach my valves on my doubles. Hence, my somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment.

...did you even read my reply...? :11:

Colliam7 -- it's a struggle to reach it currently in a single tank setup, due to my ridiculously thick and restrictive wetsuit. Usually I don't have too much of an issue reaching the valves.

Yes, I read your reply thoroughly. My comment was in reference to auburntiger1976’s research ability.

Yes, I read your reply thoroughly. My comment was in reference to auburntiger1976’s research ability.
Ah, I apologize for my assumptions. No harm meant.

Ah, I apologize for my assumptions. No harm meant.

No harm, no foul my friend. Safe diving, go deep!

Back
Top Bottom