steel 72s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arnied

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at a steel 72 tank perfect condition new hydro is this tank large enough for the average rec diver and how long could you stay down at lets say sixty feet

'Bout 55 minutes.
Rick

Rick
Do you think a 72 is a Good place to start when buying tanks I am just a begginer. I may buy a second larger tank later, also is ninety bucks a decent price.
Wes

The LP steel 72 is my favorite tank for regular open water "fun" dives. Plenty of air for me, excellent buoyancy charactistics, a little smaller and lighter than an 80, easy to fill even from a personal compressor. It's the tank I started diving with and the one I still prefer.
I believe $90 is a good price for a steel tank in good condition - at least I'd pay that.
Rick

Arnied, the steel 72 is a nice, light, all around tank for rec dives. It actually holds about 66 cu ft unless you fill it to 2475 psi where it's capacity is 71.2 cf. This is about 6 cf less than the bulkier aluminum "80". On average, I'd expect about 45 minutes at 60 feet, that is if you are doing any swimming.

Whenever buying a tank you have to figure shipping costs which run to $25. Therefore, if shipping is not necessary it should be factored as a plus.

A price of $90 is probably justified if no shipping is required, if the tank has a 3/4" neck, has recent test date, inspection, and is galvanized. Stay away from any steel tank which is painted on the outside or coated on the inside with epoxy. These may corrode and condemn the tank. One exception, paint over galvo is probably OK. Pull the boot off to check for corrosion. A little white powder is OK but NO rust.

A new valve can cost 45 bucks. A dive shop may charge you $30 to disassemble and replace an O ring, washer or blow plug. Valves need this done every 5 years. The best type of valve is a K valve without a reserve lever. The reserves are a possible leak point and serve no function in today's scheme of things.

Back
Top Bottom