Steel 72 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was given a pretty nice steel 72 which has a ½”NPT neck. I was wondering if that neck could be machined and threaded to accomodate 3/4" valve. Has anyone heard of this being done?

Thanks

No. It can't - it would not be legal to do so. I have also never heard of anyone doing it. In any event the cost of doing it would be about the same as the cost of another steel 72 with a 3/4" neck.

Thanks for the info....

Do you know if there is valve made currently that would fit this tank or do I need to go find the an older valve? If I have to go with the older valve, could anyone recommend a brand/type that I would most likely could have serviced by a dive shop?... Or does it matter?

Thanks,

Last edited:
If you post this question on vintagedoublehose, or even on the vintage forum on SB it's more likely you'll have some success in finding a valve.

You could also take a 3/4 thread to a machine shop and have it turned down to fit. :wink:

Give John a call at North East Scuba Supply! I ordered a 1/2" valve from him for one of my 72s about a year ago. Double check to see if the tank/valve has straight or tapered threads first (I can't remember which way was which for me right off...).

:cheers:

CivilE

Thanks CivilE....

These are new valves? or refurbished older valves...? This is my first 72 so im not real familiar....

I think that they were new valves that they had made. Again, check the threads first... I had a problem when I ordered mine (because I didn't check), but John was absolutely great to deal with. Customer service was out of this world!

I am actually getting ready to place an order for some more stuff with them shortly :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom