STCW 95 standard certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whiskers

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
hi,

could anyone please explain what exactely is covered by this standard :shakehead:and which countries is is required for? Also - where (Caribbean or Florida) is it possible to obtain one?:confused:

thank you

Whiskers

I'm not sure as I haven't done it yet, but as I understand its supposed to be Basic Seamanship, Firefighting and Safety at Sea type stuff.

hi,

could anyone please explain what exactely is covered by this standard :shakehead:and which countries is is required for? Also - where (Caribbean or Florida) is it possible to obtain one?:confused:

thank you

Whiskers

There are several places in Fort Lauderdale that teach it. Just google it and Florida. You will need it for most jobs in the Caribbean when you live on board. I THINK it is needed for all the countries in the Caribbean that were/are part of the United Kingdom- Caymans, Bahamas, etc... I might be wrong about that.

It covers personal survival, social responsibility (sharing small space, keeping watch, etc...), firefighting, basic first aid. Be warned---it is a tad of an expensive certification, around $1000 and takes 5-7 days.

I found some more information: it is a certificate required by British government (incl. territories) and instructors and divemasters working on charter boats have to have one. Indeed it does take 5 days. What was funny to me is they don't accept any other CPR+first aid certifications, so myself - EFR Instructor will have to sit the whole day in a basic first aid course (and of course pay for it!!!)

Stay in St. Lucia and avoid all that STCW nonsense. Before this, dealing with the USCG licensing offices --->ANYWHERE<--- in the US was an unholy nightmare - even ex-Coasties got wazooed when they went in for their master's certificates.
Too bad Dante isn't around - he could make STCW 95 the 10th level of hell.

I found some more information: it is a certificate required by British government (incl. territories) and instructors and divemasters working on charter boats have to have one. Indeed it does take 5 days. What was funny to me is they don't accept any other CPR+first aid certifications, so myself - EFR Instructor will have to sit the whole day in a basic first aid course (and of course pay for it!!!)

Actually its required for just about all commercial international voyages (by treaty). Within a country they may or may not require it. On most small US based charters its not required. It is an unholy hell of a bueracratic poooey regardless...

Hopefully a moderator can move this to "boating" or a "professional" area because its completely unrelated to basic scuba.

Too bad Dante isn't around - he could make STCW 95 the 10th level of hell.

Take it at the Sea School in Fort Liquiordale, I had one of the best times of my life there, go and play with the Yatchies(Stewies are great fun). Stay in a crew house, Of course you will need to do a lot of studying, and the best place to get your mind right is the Elbow Room. hell pay for it I will get a fake ID with your name on it and go for you.

Damn, just read your profile it would be a little tuffer to fake being you, I was looking for my certificates (that I can't find) to see if it states male or female.

STCW 95 in the US is for merchant mariners. I took my stcw course at Maritime Professional Training . For me it was good training, but I work on a tug boat on the Great Lakes.

I think this is relevant in this format is it is required of DM's, instructors and such.

I think this is relevant in this format is it is required of DM's, instructors and such.

In Hawaii it is only required for merchant mariners, working on ships. I've never heard of dive charter boats requiring it except possibly live aboards. Either way it really has nothing to do with diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom