Staying in PDC but afternoon diving in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtyDeeds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was thinking of staying in PDC but trying to schedule some dives in the afternoon over in Coz. I am looking to do other things than just dive that is why I thought PDC would be better. Anyone have any suggestions on a dive op that would pick me up in PDC or a dive op that does two tank afternon dive in Coz? I would be taking the ferry over so a place close to where the ferry drops you off or the dive op that would pick me up at the ferry. I am looking for a dive op that is not a cattle boat but one that takes out 6-8 divers.

Thanks,
DirtyDeeds

The shops that will provide you with a more personalized, quality experience don't usually schedule afternoon dives. In the afternoons you're more likely to find the larger, hotel based dive ops that run big boats and do trips to shallow sites.

The best way to dive Cozumel is to stay on the island. Even if you just head over in the late afternoon, stay overnight and get a morning 2-tank with a quality operator. There are lots of affordable accommodations. Most of the small boats will leave by 8am. 2 dives and an SI at the beach between dives usually gets us back to the marina around 1:30p.

I've been using Living Underwater (www.livingunderwater.com) for the past few years and have always had great dives with Jeremy. He uses LP steel 95 and 120 tanks and he takes a max of 8 divers (usually 4-6). You'll get good dives, long bottom times and be completely spoiled. He charges $85 and it's well worth it. You can go no frills starting around $50. In Cozumel it's just a matter of deciding what level of service you want, type of boat you want to be on, size of the group, tanks and your price range. There's an operator to match just about any set of criteria.

Thanks for the feedback! I was hoping to do afternoon dives. I am thinking of staying a couple of nights in Coz to get some diving in. It looks like it might be too much of a hassle to try to go over in the late morining to try to get some afternoon dives in. If anyone knows a good operator who does afternoon dives around Coz let me know. I will look into Tank Ha.

ScubaCaribe has several locations right on Playa del Carmen and they used to do all day or afternoon dives in Cozumel

We just got back and stayed on the main land and took the ferry over to Coz. We went with Aqua Safari and did afternoon diving. When you get off the ferry it is a short walk to the right on the main road. They are on the left hand side about 5 blocks down. They even have an afternoon "fast boat" that only does 8 divers. It was great as we did not have the snorklers on board (nothing against that) so we could do some of the deeper sites that always were not as diver populated. I would highly recommend them.

Since we wanted to explore the island some, they were willing to store our stuff so we could bum around and shop and then go back later to pick it up. There boat also goes out right across the street from the dive shop. Overall we were very pleased with it being close to the ferry and the equiptment was great as was the boat.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

By the way, we saw a huge green eel on our trip and the coral formations were incredible.

Marsha

Thanks Marsha! That is exactly what I am looking for. Do you think I would be able to leave my equipment with them over night? I would rather not have to bring my equipment back and forth but if the equipment will not be secure I will bring it back with me?

DirtyDeeds

Dive House runs afternoon two-tank dives. I think they leave around 1:30. They have bigger boats and I have been in some large groups on group trips with our LDS, but the last time I was there on my own and the afternoon boat only had six people. They have lockers at the shop at the Fiesta Americana, but they tend to be taken up by people who are diving with them all week. It is first-come, first-served on the lockers. I have been diving with them several times. It is a larger, resort-oriented operation, but they run a very good operation.

I'm fairly sure they will store your gear for you. Contact them and let them know what you want to book and ask them about storing your gear since you want to do multiple dives. I would recommend making reservations. Good luck & have fun. I wish I was going back already.

Back
Top Bottom