Staying at SCC (Scuba Club Cozumel) Jun 25 to Jul 6. Wife doesn't dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortis65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm staying at the SCC, and I am looking for a buddy or couple to meet up with for some shore dives.

This will be my first time at SCC, and I am looking forward to the boat dives, but I am also looking at having a few shore dives with a buddy or small group.

I am a PADI AOW with nitrox cert.

Please let me know who will be there, and if you are up to some shore diving.

Thanks.

You'll be at SCC during the Scubaboard Invasion. 60-odd members will be at the Cozumel Inn and Resort. Some will be shore diving from an adjacent pier. My wife and I will be shore diving at night mostly. We'll be at SCC the following week, but that doesn't help you much.

With my dive count, I think solo diving is not recommended.

This is a golden opportunity to try self-reliant diving.

The water in front of the hotel is 22 feet deep. Even if you are with a buddy, you would do an "emergency swimming ascent;" the surface is closer than your dive companion.

Enter by giant stride or walk down the steps into the entrance pool. Start your dive into the current, move slowly looking for small stuff, turn around when you have 1000 psi left and drift back to the exit.

"Out front" is a great place to play with a camera and dial in your settings.

As Robin said, there will be many shore divers; just ask to tag along. Just don't buddy up with any photographers - their buddy is their camera!

Tell everyone, "Jim says hello."

pier.jpg

With my dive count, I think solo diving is not recommended.

I have to agree with Jim... this is the perfect place to solo dive as you are never more than 24' deep, and the current is usually no issue.

watch my video... then just follow the course I have laid out.

[vimeo]11565537[/vimeo]

robin:D

[watch my video... then just follow the course I have laid out.

[vimeo]11565537[/vimeo]

I also agree with Robin and Jim. This video is actually what I used as a "gauge" for the shore dive area. It lays out exactly where your route is... In fact, after watching Robin's video, it was almost like a had dived it myself. When I dropped in... I knew exactly where I was and where I should be headed... I flew in late on a Saturday (around 4:00 pm) and managed to get to SCC shortly after. I checked into my room, dropped everything except my dive gear and headed down to the shop to get a tank. (I had just bought all new gear, and I had no idea what my proper weighting should be... as well as moving from a full 5MM to a shorty)

I soloed the shore area without any issues... It's almost like being in a swimming pool except for the critters swimming about!! :D with a touch of current to give you a small taste of what your boat dives the following day will deliver. WARNING: Once you've dived Coz... you won't want to go anywhere else!! you'll wind up being a Cozaholic just like the rest of us!

Totally agree with Robin & Shardison. I watched Robin's video at least 3x before arriving at SCC for the first time in January. I knew exactly where we were going so it was great. We did the loop and then still had tons of air left so headed back to hang out by the pier where there is so much to see.

Now I hear there is a Mayan ruin to check out by white buoy by the Hotel Cozumel pier so next time I will head a little further south to try and see that and then continue on the loop.

Thanks again to Robin for all her great pictures, videos and tips on staying at SCC.

Now I hear there is a Mayan ruin to check out by white buoy by the Hotel Cozumel pier so next time I will head a little further south to try and see that and then continue on the loop.

It is a mini Chichen Itza. Can't miss it. :D It is about a 2 min swim from the SCC boundary rope. Continue on south past Chichen Itza towards the big pier for awhile before turning around. Great dive - no deeper than about 25 feet, and lasts about 1 hr 15 mins.

Divegoose

Back
Top Bottom