staying at ramon's village. dive with them or elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have thousands of dives and own a liveaboard. I've dived all over the world. With that said, one of the best experiences I ever had was diving with Ramon's Village 12 years ago during my honeymoon. Obviously, things change, but they still have a good rep, the diving was eh? around Ambergris, but Half Moon Caye wall was excellent.

Half Moon Caye Wall - If only every dive was like that place. Great memories!

I couldn't agree more, and if the OP wasn't already committed to staying there I would have made alternative suggestions. The accommodation looks idyllic, but the reality is sometimes rather less so, and their food is not noted for its excellence. But Rick runs a good dive operation, and the OP should have no reservations about going with them.

Wookie - a great deal has changed since you were last here. 12 years ago predates my arrival here, and for my first few years this place was buzzing with large visitor numbers and excellent diving with many large pelagics seen each dive. That's all changed, and not for the better.

I dove with Ramons in 2005 and 2006. I thought they were a good op. I remember Rick as a good guy.

Peter when we dived there 6 years ago I remember seeing Eagle Rays and Nurse Sharks on about half the dives and turtles and Stingrays on the other half. And there were always large Grouper around. What is it like now?

It's a shame to hear about the Ramon's ads in town. I'm thinking of taking another trip there but am afraid I'll be disappointed with some of the chanegs. But I also figure maybe I need to get back now before it gets even worse.

There's much less wildife in the sea now, for whatever reason. It's easy - common - to dive for a whole week and see no large sharks (discounting nurse sharks) and maybe one or two turtles. I can't remember the last time I saw a spotted eagle ray. When I first came here ten years ago it was VERY different.

Perhaps one reason there aren't many sharks nowadays - I took this on the beach a few months ago
IMG_6623.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for the info, which has been quite helpful. (including how to add quotes)

There's much less wildife in the sea now, for whatever reason. It's easy - common - to dive for a whole week and see no large sharks (discounting nurse sharks) and maybe one or two turtles. I can't remember the last time I saw a spotted eagle ray. When I first came here ten years ago it was VERY different.

that seems to be the story everywhere. i know guys diving in taiwan who had a school of hammerheads cirlcing them on their safety stop ... 20 years ago. now it's all small reef fish. if you see the occasional travally, you feel lucky, and anyone sighting any kind of shark gets ALOT of talk. :(

my family's going to belize and staying in ramon's village in AC for about 5 days. i'll probably be able to get in 2 days of diving out to the atolls and will be the only one in my group diving. is it advisable to dive bigger trips with another shop or should i go with ramon's? and if so, who would you recommend?

Ramon's dive shop is OK, pricey compared to the others. Check out Hugh Parkey's (Hugh Parkey's Belize Dive Connection, San Pedro) > We've been diving with these guys for several years now. Ramon's did my dive bud's OW Cert. several years ago & he wasn't thrilled with the DMs. Hugh Parkey's is a short walk down the beach from Ramon's. While you're there check out the condos next door to Ramon's, The Palms (The Palms Oceanfront Suites - Come stay with us...), great condos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom