Staying at Papagayo - Where are the best dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyvingluvly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be diving in the Gulf of Papagayo Nov. 1 - 10, 2010. Which dive operator is best to use? Peter Hughes suppose to be good, but, I need more info about them. I've read that Playa del coco has the best dive sites. How is the diving at Bat and Catalina Islands? Can you give me some suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

I go out the the Catalinas all the time, but out of Flamingo, rather than Coco. Flamingo is the closest to the Catalinas, and I live about 5 min from there. I use both Aquacenter and Pacific Coast Dive Center. Both are good outfits. Haven't gotten up North yet to the Bats.

Catalinas and the Bat's are the best dive sites, but can be quite rough and not for beginners.
The Catalinas are directly in front of Flamingo, what makes the ride over there short and economic, the Bat's are 1,5-2 hour ride each way and if the nort-easterly winds are not already bothering a trip over there may be a good idea.

Chris

Thank you ALL of your information. I am sure I am going to have a wonderful time.

Hello Dyvingluvly,

How are you? Nice to hear you're planning a trip to Costa Rica. When coming over in November you're just at the end of season for Bat Islands (depending from year to year, the sea there can be pretty rough starting November) and the beginning of the seaon for the Catalina Islands.

I'm diving at Rich Coast Diving in Playas del Coco at the moment and can tell you this about the diving here. It's awesome!!!!! The viz, the Bull sharks at Bats, the Manta's at Cats, it's great!!! But local diving (within 20 min. by boat) is also worth doing. There's so much to see on local dives too, white tip sharks, turtles, different kinds of rays (sometimes in huge schools), seahorses, nudibranches, murayeels, the amount of fish in general will surprise you.

Depending on where we go, our boats go out between 7.30 and 8.30 in the morning and are back around 1 pm. (a little later in the afternoon when gone to Bats) We always go for 2 or 3 tank dives to different dive sites, with at least an hour surface interval in between which gives you the change to have some fruit, cookies, drinks, enjoy the sun (or the shade, we have enough tomatoes in the country already) and , most of all, have lots of FUN!!!!

What accomodation are you staying, we'll be more than happy to pick you up, either by boat or by car.

Also, we can help you organise tours apart from diving. Let us know if you would like some information on canyoping, rafting, mudbathing, horseriding, mountainbiking and so on... The sky is the limit...

If there's anything I can help you out with, don't hesitate to contact me.

Zindie

Martin and Brenda van Gestel
Rich Coast Diving Co.
PADI 5* IDC center
Rich Coast Diving - Costa Rica Diving and Adventure
richcoastdiving@windowslive.com
dive@richcoastdiving.com
Telephone: +506-2670-0176

Back
Top Bottom