Stationary Stops: Yes or No?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDadMiami:
One thing to consider is that,... oxygen is a vasocontstrictor.

Really? How?

Yes, increasing ppO2 does indeed increase vasoconstriction in the systemic and cerebral vasculature. In the pulmonary vasculature it does just the opposite...vasodilation.

To my knowledge the mechanism by which this occurs remains unclear and is probably multi-factorial. There have been several theories proposed as to how this occurs but as far as I know none have been proven. I have found several references and could supply them if you wish.

Whatever the mechanism is, the applications are many. For instance, high flow O2 is often used to treat cluster headaches. Also, the use of HBO allows increased O2 delivery to tissues while the decreased blood flow results in less tissue edema.

Perhaps Dr. Deco will find an opportunity to respond to your question.

Your original post seemed to make a generalized statement that was at odds with my understanding. With the qualifiers in your second statement I would tend to agree with you. Although there is some reason to believe that the increased ICP is not caused by vasoconstriction; but rather by the not well understood mechanism to which you refer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom