Statia or St. Eustatius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Barbie

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Statia AKA St Eustatius? They have a deal for 7 nights for $589 and the web sites look nice, but it is always better to get real life advice.
Thanks,
Debra
Houston

Hey, Debra,

I once did the Saba, St. Kitts, St. Eustatius "loop" and enjoyed all three. The premier dives were on Saba, but Statia was good diving; it was just not in the same league as Saba. St. Kitts was nice, too, but with somewhat more limited dive sites than the former. I, however, really liked the relaxed atmosphere on St. Kitts.

Back to Statia: Dive Statia, owned by Judy and Mike Brown, did a nice job for me. The Old Gin House provided good, clean, if somewhat spartan accommodations.

Supposedly, there are lots of 19th Century wrecks to see around Statia, but most are shadows in the sand/coral, having been whipped around by hurricanes and plundered by divers. However, every once and while current or storms turn up something new. Do not expect an Atocha, though! The reefs are in great shape and the sea life is abundant. I do not think the diving will disappoint you at all!

Sounds like the price is right, but if that is the price for the months of July-October, you are flirting with hurricane season!

Hope this helps,

Scorpionfish

Debra,

Statia diving is excellent--a happy surprise, indeed, and the island has a roguish-ness to it that I found appealing. I agree with the previous reply about staying at the Old Gin House; I didn't and regretted it.

Where did you stay? We're planning a trip this summer and are looking at staying at someplace other than the Old Gin House but I can't remember the name off hand (El something??).
Ber :bunny:

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...
Where did you stay? We're planning a trip this summer and are looking at staying at someplace other than the Old Gin House but I can't remember the name off hand (El something??).

Hi. Ber!

My guess is that you are referring to La Maison Sur La Plage--which can be translated a number of ways--The Surly Mason with the Bubonic Plage--or, more conventionally, The Hotel over the Beach. At any rate, I strolled by it awhile back and can tell you that it is fairly small (8-10 rooms?), nicely kept, and very convenient to the dive shops.

Hope this helps,

Scorpionfish

Thanks Scorpionfish, I'm not sure if that's it though, it doesn't sound familiar. Should find out for sure in a couple of days!

Back
Top Bottom