State of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

villesci

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok not sure if this can go here but I wasn't sure if it goes in any other category.

I've noticed, as I'm sure everyone else has, that the sport is a graying one, full of people who were inspired by the daring and unknown of early diving a couple decades ago. There's nothing wrong with having an older base in a sport - that's where experience and wisdom is passed on to newer generations. But I don't see that many young people like myself getting certified, and I feel like every time I read dive magazines and I look at advertising I see diving portrayed as a fun, easy, accessible hobby and not as a source of transcendent adrenalin or adventure that it was in the '60s. Are we losing the next generation of divers to an increasingly, I find, cushy and bland imagery of scuba diving as something fun you do when your family goes on vacation.

I realize that this might be great for some people, to have an easy and comfortable experience. But for me, and for pretty much anyone like me under 30 who have adrenalin, time, and a sense of exploration, this isn't enough. I compare this to looking at dive magazines I get compared to some other "extreme" (I normally object to this term) sport magazines like Whitewater Kayaking or Climbing. In these sports there is an older pioneering base from the 60s and 70s, but the sport hasn't stayed stuck with that generation. New generations of kayakers and climbers have constantly evolved the sports with new gear and techniques, but they also have evolved the image of the sports to stay young, flashy, sexy. I look at my recent diving magazines which have articles about travelling in comfort and where "exotic" dive destinations are classified not by the difficulty of access or chances of exploration but by the number of hours you have to fly from LAX or BWI airports. And yet when I look at other sport's magazines, ads, forums, stories, etc. the idea of adventure and risk and exploration are still huge tenants of the sport culture and the idea of bushwhacking days away from civilization to find the new crux walls or the un-run waterfalls. Scuba currently I see as always trying to become more like ski resorts in creating the image of wilderness and vistas while in reality providing a hot tub and a three course dinner at the bottom of the slopes.

The only component I see of this in Diving is in Tec and cave diving, which are relatively small subsets of diving as a whole and which I think are under-represented enormously when we try to get younger generations to try scuba, and at the same time I feel frowned upon in recreational scuba circles as "too intense" and not an appropriate goal for people (especially younger people) getting interested in Scuba. At the same time, has Scuba diving itself lost forever its sexiness? Is there no new ground to cover, no new horizons to cross and explore? Is the entire world one entire five star luxury dive resort, or are there still places where groups of young divers can go and live like dirtbags for a few weeks creating and pushing new limits to the sport with the knowledge of danger still present?

I'm asking this as a 20 year old who still wants to believe in a world where diving is sexy and more like planning out multi-day climbing expeditions. I'm the co-president and founder of my college's dive club and this rather long (sorry!) post was inspired the need to get people interested in diving again, because they no longer see it as a sport pushing boundaries. What do you all think? Am I just a young whipper-snapper (and in which case I would remind you that you too were or are one currently) who has no head for safety or am I observing something that is very real in the sport today?

Well, maybe you youngsters will take up SCUBA when you're old and gray and we'll have a resurgence. After all, adrenaline only lasts so long and golf is pretty boring if you ask me.

By the way... I see plenty of younger folks getting certified out at our dive park every week (including the winter months).

In my rescue class this weekend, of 12 students, 8 were in their mid thirties or younger. One girl was 22, and almost half the class was female. And this is for rescue, which is several steps above standard open water. Have to love SoCal.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Magazines are driven usually by advertising. Diving is fairly expensive as hobbies go. Advertising is driven by looking for customers with free cash. Older folks have more cash.

… Are we losing the next generation of divers to an increasingly, I find, cushy and bland imagery of scuba diving as something fun you do when your family goes on vacation…

Yes. It is also causing some of us geezers to avoid most dive boats that impose restrictions and choose bland locations designed for the lowest level vacation diver.

Magazines are driven usually by advertising. Diving is fairly expensive as hobbies go. Advertising is driven by looking for customers with free cash. Older folks have more cash.
I think Steve has it about right. The initial cost to begin diving can be a barrier to getting started. It costs to get certified, it costs to purchase your dive gear, or rent it, and it is expensive if you don't live in a region with easy access to water. Older folks have more money than young people who are in school, looking to purchase a home, or starting their family.

Honestly, we need fewer divers not more. I suppose if divers were better overall environmental ambassadors, my stance would be different, but my personal experience has not been the case.

I don't see diving, whether OW or Cave or Tec as adrenalin, sexy or any other visceral form.....It's exploration, understanding, appreciation, discovery and knowledge......You want the former ???.......Go bungee jumping, base jumping, sky diving or run with the bulls !!!!!!!!!.........It is not 'macho-ninja' !!!!.........

I never knew scuba diving was popular at one time because it was sexy. I would have listed that way down the list if asked about the appeal of scuba diving. I kind of find it eye rolling that an activity has to be sexy for younger people to be interested in it. I certainly don't see anything sexy about BMX bikes, skateboarding or snowboarding either or Xbox playing.

Back
Top Bottom