Starting weight for drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rimp

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi peeps.

I will be ocean diving on Saturday with a shell drysuit and need to ballpark my weight. When diving with a wetsuit I use 30 lbs on the belt (alum 80 tank).

I'm guessing 15 lbs on the belt and 5 lbs ankle weights for drysuit?

I am 5'10" and weigh approx 170 lbs.

I do have some experience with a drysuit, just haven't been in the water in a while with one, and don't remember what weight I used previously.

Thanks for your best guess.

Doug.

Yes, I would try a pool weight test, but in reality the ocean is way more buoyant, so testing in a pool first is really a waste of time I think.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

How much do you weigh, and how much extra weight is in your BC pockets?

If its a single tank and a normalish undersuit in the sea the rough weight needed here is in the region of 22-26lbs all in.

Thats with a steel tank, aluminium may need a few more pounds (why does anyone use Al as a main tank anyway?).

Personally i use about 23lb.

Rimp:
Hi peeps.

I will be ocean diving on Saturday with a shell drysuit and need to ballpark my weight. When diving with a wetsuit I use 30 lbs on the belt (alum 80 tank).

I'm guessing 15 lbs on the belt and 5 lbs ankle weights for drysuit?

I am 5'10" and weigh approx 170 lbs.

I do have some experience with a drysuit, just haven't been in the water in a while with one, and don't remember what weight I used previously.

Thanks for your best guess.

Doug.

30 wif a wetsuit? Man.

I'm 5-7, 165. I dive a shell suit with a BP/W and a steel tank. I now use 8 pounds of lead.

When I first went to the DS, I was wearing a 7mm (with a Seaquest Balance) and was carrying about 24#. With the DS and the Balance, I was carrying 16.

My wife is 5-8 and 1XX, and she uses a regular BC and carries 22# with her shell suit.

Bring extras. I'm not a fan of Ankle weights (never understood the whole wrapping lead around your motor thing) but they're good as the peel off weights - use them on your first dive, and at the end of that dive, purge to 500 at 10' and do a weight check - if you're overweighted take them off and hand them to your buddy. If still overweighted, its time to lose some from the belt / bc.

I dive with 8 pounds of lead. But when I photograph, I like to take 10, as holding my breath to compose a shot I notice i get floaty.

Its so tough to estimate this stuff until you go in and give it a whirl. Lots of folks use too much gas in their suit the first few times and its tough to get an accurate weight check.

K

The rule of thumb in our neck of the woods is 10% of your weight + 10lbs (+-5lbs). I am 200lbs = 20lbs+10lbs=30lbs. I dive with 24lbs at waist and 2x2lbs ankle weights. I have a shell suit with heavy insulated suit under garmet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom