Starting out: Wolfinger or Harlow - Which should I read first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conshelf 14, Sherwood brut (oldest version), calypso (not old, not new).

I’m wondering if anyone can tell me where I can download a digital copy of either or both of these books. I’m happy to pay for them.
I live in the Solomons and getting anything sent here is nearly impossible and very expensive. Downloading the books would be much easier for me.

I have them; but specific manufacturer's service manuals, trump both authors; and the two, to their credit, admit as much, and encourage the reader to, at the very least, take a factory-sponsored tech course.

That said, I generally prefer the more grassroots Harlow approach (it fondly reminded me of Muir's How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive) who offered instructions on making custom tools and constructing IP gauges; testing for air leaks and cracking effort in a bathroom sink; jerry-rigging some service bench components; and offered critiques of, and tweaks to, servicing specific name brands.

On the other hand, Wolfinger, while fabulously knowledgeable, is far more abstract in his approach and, unabashedly, plugs his company's service equipment, Peter Built Co (see "A Word About Bias" on page 105) to the open exclusion of most everyone else, with little to no discussion of particular name brand regulators, if I recall correctly; but his thorough coverage of applied physical theory and engineering is valuable -- and the illustrations on principles are quite clear . . .

Attachments

• 564908904_dd9a7d5522.jpg
    564908904_dd9a7d5522.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Zef
I am a professor, so I like people who "want to know more".
But do you think that the so-called "technician" who actually services your regs at the LDS has read any of these books?
He probably has got a quick training of a few hours, and that's all!

I read them both; and the fellow that I worked under, while at university, certainly spent more time than an afternoon at a Howard Johnson's or Marriott; was required to take serial manufacturer's refresher courses, with certainly more regularity than most do today (I am only required to attend every three years); and was first instructed to work on regulators and other diving equipment by the US Navy. He once spoke evasively about a "nice" swim, taken years before, in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Me? I am just a slack-jawed punk . . .

Reactions: Zef
I’m wondering if anyone can tell me where I can download a digital copy of either or both of these books. I’m happy to pay for them.
I live in the Solomons and getting anything sent here is nearly impossible and very expensive. Downloading the books would be much easier for me.

Sadly, both books were produced by Luddites, almost twenty years ago; and I know if no digital versions of either. Both look to have been self-published at the local Kinkos . . .

Conshelf 14, Sherwood brut (oldest version), calypso (not old, not new).

If someone told you that they couldn't service a Brut, run away...

^^^ I am.

Ordered both Monday, separate websites, no special shipping, got both today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom