Starting out with bp&w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I’m looking for a new BCD and am thinking about Transitioning from a jacket to a bp&w can anyone give me any advice and or tips?

So I’m looking for a new BCD and am thinking about Transitioning from a jacket to a bp&w can anyone give me any advice and or tips?

I just went through the same thing a couple of months ago. I was running myself crazy with all the choices. A lot of folks gave me good advice here Choices, Choices, Choices.

Isnt it uncomfortable just being a metal backplate and harness?

all of our students learn in a bare backplate and one-piece harness. It's not uncomfortable for normal diving use. If you're hiking any distance you may want a harness that is a bit more comfortable, but you're usually only carrying it 100yds max and it's fine for that because it disappears in the water. The backplates can obviously get hot as well so if you're leaving it out in the sun *which you shouldn't do if you can help it*, cover it with a t-shirt or towel so it doesn't bake. Granted black fabric doesn't really do any better in direct sun in terms of comfort on your back though

@Joshua Diemer I would have thought that the metal backplate would have been uncomfortable as well but it is not in the least.

Isnt it uncomfortable just being a metal backplate and harness?

Not underwater it isn't. I would not go hiking in it with a full cylinder on my back, but then again... that would not be comfortable in any BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom