Starting Out - Where Exactly to Begin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I became interested in DIR a couple weeks ago when I was at Dutch Springs and have done a lot of reading on the subject since. I ordered the beginner's book from GUE and am waiting patiently. I did quite a bit of searching around on 5th Dimension's website and was looking at the different set ups. I wanted to know what the big differences were between the single and double setups. Is it that you just change out the bladders and any tank mounting pieces or can you use the same bladder? I wanted to make sure that I had as much up front for the single tank with the least amount to buy when I wanted to switch to doubles. Also 5th Dimension has a 5ft hose as the primary in their "DIR" hose kit for single tanks and a 7ft hose as the primary in thie "DIR" hose kit for double tanks. Am I missing something here? I thought it was a 7ft hose no-matter what setup you had. Perhaps I should wait for the book but as with all things like this my wife sees it coming and the first thing she asks is how much is it going to cost......so trying to get an idea of the best gear that is easily upgradeable for the least cost.

darylm74:
I wanted to know what the big differences were between the single and double setups. Is it that you just change out the bladders and any tank mounting pieces or can you use the same bladder?

Off to bed soon but the simple asnwer is no. You need a different, larger, wing for doubles and if you use it for singles it will fold up around the tank which will cause a couple of issues that you can look up on here. Search taco effect.

darylm74:
Also 5th Dimension has a 5ft hose as the primary in their "DIR" hose kit for single tanks and a 7ft hose as the primary in thie "DIR" hose kit for double tanks. Am I missing something here? I thought it was a 7ft hose no-matter what setup you had.

The best value for the dollar is to buy the double tank hose kit from Halcyon. It contains everything you need to set up either a single or double tank setup with a single stage bottle as well for the cost of a couple of the hoses from the kit. The 7 foot hose is just fine, and in my case preferred, for ANY type of diving. You don't need to switch to a shorter hose for open water or single tanks. Other opinions may vary. Only possible reason I could see for not just sticking with the 7 footer in all situations would be if you were extremely short and it wa sloppy to rig. What I can say is even the shortest diver I know switched from a 5 to 7 footer with no troubles and she uses it all the time now with no troubles. Nice, streamlined and slick.* see footnote 1

* Footnote 1: Slick: The new robust. See DIR 3 disk DVD set for details.

I think I was using bladder and wing synonomously in this case. Sorry for the confusion. My biggest concern was that I needed to know if I could get away with one backplate and that I didn't need two, one for doubles and one for singles. I will check out the DVD set. Thanks

yes ,, if you want ,, of course you can use only one back plate,,, you will just have to move it from set up to set up,,, no biggie,, you will eventually own a lot more than just another back plate,, if you continue on this path

i suggest a fundy's class asap,, ,, your ?? will be answered correctly and hands on there,,, this is a long process,, do it right,,, fundy's and then more to the story,,,

and of course ask any ?? you wish here,,, you will get plenty of great advise

Ed Hayes

The best advice I can give you Daryl is to get in touch with the GUE instructor that you would like to do the DIR-F class with. Spend some time on the phone with them talking about your diving goals. The instructor will tell you exactly what you need to bring to class (along with the reasons why - remember, this is not dogmatic diving, there's a good reason for everything). I highly recommend that you take some direction from them before buying any equipment. This will save you from buying things twice. Also, depending on the instructor, you'll be able to rent the equipment for the class. If this is do-able, take the chance. IMHO, a dive or two in a properly configured DIR/Hogarthian rig will pretty much convert you instantly :)

As far as the BCD goes, there are 2 or 3 basic components:
1) A backplate & harness - This is a contoured plate made of stainless steel, aluminum, or other material that is held to your body with a continuous piece of webbing. There are a few D-Rings in strategic positions on the webbing. The best part of this is that it is infinitely adjustable to you and the exposure protection that you wear. I just added a 2nd backplate so that I can keep one adjusted for a drysuit and the other for a wetsuit.
2) The Wing or Bladder - This is the buoyancy compensating part (appropriately sized for type/size/number of tanks and exposure protection) of the setup.
3) Some sort of attachment point for your tanks. Double tanks are usually banded together and the bands have bolts that attach to the backplate (with the wing sandwiched in between) and there are a couple of different ways to attach a single tank depending on the design of the wing and backplate/harness that you have chosen.

Go to http://www.gue.com/equipment/equip-anatomy.shtml to see some more info... But, keep in mind that DIR is something that evolves. What's specifically published in the book or website may not be completely up to date, but the concepts stay the same. It'll be obvious if you do take the fundamentals class that the equipment is the only 'DIR' thing you can buy. The rest of it (the more important stuff IMHO) just takes hard some work and dedication.

Like Ed said, if you have any questions, just ask. GUE instructors do lurk here from time to time and you'll be sure to get some great info.

-Frank

Note to Ed, my special-fin-to-frog-kick-helicopter-turn ratio was way down this past weekend. :)

Bob Sherwood teaches at Dutch Springs. Contact him via email, he's listed at www.gue.com

With regard to your wife's concerns, ...you can certainly begin with a bp/wing attached to your single tank. Not a bad way to begin. Once you begin moving on, however, simply be aware that it isn't inexpensive. If you talked to different people who had transitioned to one or more sets of double tanks and decompression diving - e.g. slung stage and decompression bottles, four DIN regulators, drysuit, courses for certification, cannister light, mixed gas fills, argon, etc. - they might tell you that on average they dropped between $3K and $5K over a 12-24 month period. You replace a lot of things with other things. Not meant to dissuade you from following that path at all, by all means knock yourself out. But simply be aware that your wife's concerns about cost over time may not be entirely unfounded.

darylm74:
Perhaps I should wait for the book but as with all things like this my wife sees it coming and the first thing she asks is how much is it going to cost......so trying to get an idea of the best gear that is easily upgradeable for the least cost.

The most important thing is what it it should *not* cost: your life! DIR is a way of diving that was developed in the most unforgiving circumstances. And that is why it has become the safest way to enjoy the fantastic things you can come across underwater. So if you are important to your wife, I do not think she should settle for anything less than a DIR diving husband.
(gee,does this sound too much like a salespitch? ";-)

scuba-punk:
The best advice I can give you Daryl is to get in touch with the GUE instructor that you would like to do the DIR-F class with. Spend some time on the phone with them talking about your diving goals. The instructor will tell you exactly what you need to bring to class (along with the reasons why - remember, this is not dogmatic diving, there's a good reason for everything). I highly recommend that you take some direction from them before buying any equipment. This will save you from buying things twice. Also, depending on the instructor, you'll be able to rent the equipment for the class. If this is do-able, take the chance. IMHO, a dive or two in a properly configured DIR/Hogarthian rig will pretty much convert you instantly :)

As far as the BCD goes, there are 2 or 3 basic components:
1) A backplate & harness - This is a contoured plate made of stainless steel, aluminum, or other material that is held to your body with a continuous piece of webbing. There are a few D-Rings in strategic positions on the webbing. The best part of this is that it is infinitely adjustable to you and the exposure protection that you wear. I just added a 2nd backplate so that I can keep one adjusted for a drysuit and the other for a wetsuit.
2) The Wing or Bladder - This is the buoyancy compensating part (appropriately sized for type/size/number of tanks and exposure protection) of the setup.
3) Some sort of attachment point for your tanks. Double tanks are usually banded together and the bands have bolts that attach to the backplate (with the wing sandwiched in between) and there are a couple of different ways to attach a single tank depending on the design of the wing and backplate/harness that you have chosen.

Go to http://www.gue.com/equipment/equip-anatomy.shtml to see some more info... But, keep in mind that DIR is something that evolves. What's specifically published in the book or website may not be completely up to date, but the concepts stay the same. It'll be obvious if you do take the fundamentals class that the equipment is the only 'DIR' thing you can buy. The rest of it (the more important stuff IMHO) just takes hard some work and dedication.

Like Ed said, if you have any questions, just ask. GUE instructors do lurk here from time to time and you'll be sure to get some great info.

-Frank

Note to Ed, my special-fin-to-frog-kick-helicopter-turn ratio was way down this past weekend. :)

frank,,,

i'm sure the ratio will continue to get better ,,good for you

Ed

That would be great if I could sale that to her, but she is a bit craftier than that. Though, hard is it is to swallow, quality doesn't have to mean costly and a thrifty buyer doesn't have to settle for less quality if I shop the smart way. I just want to make sure I don't go out and buy the latest fashionable products in one of every color when plain jane black and the basic style are the best choice......I have done quite a bit of shopping around for what is available.......just need the guide and they are out of the GUE handbooks till August......guess I'll have to wait.......

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom