Starting out... looking for good used camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcoIris74

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Are there deals on the net for good used dive cameras, or packages including camera, housing, and strobe? Underwater photography is something I really want to get into, but obviously I cannot afford to spend alot of money. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Glenn

Hi Glenn:

I think in order to answer your question appropriately there's probably more questions to be asked here... What's your budget? and what kind of shooting do you want to do?

I think there are plenty of used camera packages out there, from the very very cheap (<$250), to the good amateur ($500-700) to the semi-pro ($2-3000). I might add (quite selfishly!) that I have some used gear that could be for sale as well, but more importantly, what/where do you imagine yourself taking photos underwater, and what level are you looking to make your entry at?

I am in the same situation. I just want an underwater camera set so I can start taking pictures. I just want to be able to show people what I see while im down there and for memories. I am looking to buy something used in the 300 range. Anyone willing to sell me anything?

From what I hear don't you need a strobe for deeper dives? I like wreck diving and the deeper you go doesnt everthing turn out blue when you take a picture along with all the floating particles that show up? Thats just what ive heard. Correct me if im wrong.

From what I hear don't you need a strobe for deeper dives? I like wreck diving and the deeper you go doesnt everthing turn out blue when you take a picture along with all the floating particles that show up? Thats just what ive heard. Correct me if im wrong.

You can take fairly decent photos using just the camera's build in flash.

l1.jpg

l21.jpg

I took both of these photos using just the camera's flash.

Alex, you are correct, a separate strobe helps tremendously. Nice shots diveborg! One of the challenges with onboard flash is that you can get a lot of backscatter. Backscatter is the lighting up if particulate matter in the water column that can cause an image to look snowy. Diveborg's shots are macro, or close up shots, where there isn't a lot of water between the lens and the subject, so backscatter is really minimized in these images. So if you intend to shoot only macro, yes, the onboard flash may serve you for a time, but shooting anything at an arms length away or further will be a problem. Also, a separate strobe will also allow you to light your subject more creatively as you can position it different ways to shift your composition.

In the end, it's all about your budget. At one point you could buy a housing for disposable film cameras that ran about $60, or you can go all the way to housed SLR with dual strobes, multiple lens ports, and all the trimmings for $6-7000. And there are lots of points in between!

Click the 2 links in my sig to view @ some of my pics using the A570 & Canon housing with no external strobe....I would answer your question as no, you don't need a strobe.....

Click the 2 links in my sig to view @ some of my pics using the A570 & Canon housing with no external strobe....I would answer your question as no, you don't need a strobe.....

Your pics are awesome. Thats all I want! Like I said just something to take pics of to bring up and show people what I saw. Your camera looks perfect. If you dont mind me asking how much did your setup cost? Also how deep do you go with the camera?

Do you think you can give me a website for the housing? I found the camera but couldnt find the housing. Thanks a lot!!

I just went ahead and bought the Canon A570 IS and the underwater housing. Everything came out to $330.00 with tax and shipping. I bought the underwater housing on Amazon for 169 with 2 day shipping and bought the camera on ebay for 149 with 2 day shipping also. I want the camera and housing to be at my house by friday because i'm going diving on saturday. This was I can take pics and post it on here =-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom