Starting out DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanx all, i will do all of the above.

Both me and my wife learnt O/W taught with the DIR philosophy.

We learnt in a B/P wing set up with long hose and would recommend taking this route until the GUE O/W class comes on stream

I have 2 friends that are going to start diving. Since i know they will love it i would like to start them off the "right" way. If i had a few extra thousand bucks i would pay for a gue OW course, but somehow i know thats not going to happen. Also i dont think im a smooth enough talker to get them to pay it either.

I do think i may be able to talk them into taking a long drive. (Neighboring states of NYC) Does anyone know a instructor that will teach them in a long hoes and BP/W in general area?
Blueboy, Bob Sherwood is a GUE instructor in New York. Here's his contact info. I spoke with Bob the other day. Seems like a nice person to work with.

Bob Sherwood
829 Main Street
Vestal, NY 13850

Cell phone: 607-765-3942
Business phone: 607-786-3941
Email: sherwood@gue.com

Blueboy, Bob Sherwood is a GUE instructor in New York. I spoke with Bob the other day. Seems like a nice person to work with.

My too friends are bums, lol. One i think will do it this year but upstate NY i just too far. They are on LI. I suffered a pretty bad injury and have been out of the water for a year. In about 2 months i think i will be ready to start diving again. So it looks like I might be taking thats class with Ed or Bob again. I'm pretty rusty.

If DIR is the way you want to go...by doing your OW ala DIR just the choices in gear will save you a bundle.

NO KIDDING ON THAT STATEMENT! I wish I would have been shown a BP when I first walked into the LDS. :shakehead: But I was nieve and man did I get raped on that one. But thank goodness I met a diver who opened my eyes right after my checkout dives! I have been in a long hose since that fateful day and you will never get me back in a jacket BC! Even if I have to carry my SS BP on the plane! ( Yeah the TSA people loved that one!)

Blueboy, your friends are lucky to have you! They will be better divers because of it!

Happy diving HORIZONTAL!
Carolyn:sharks:
ps: I am hoping to take fundies this year! Can't wait to get my butt handed to me with a smile!:D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom