Starting out DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 2 friends that are going to start diving. Since i know they will love it i would like to start them off the "right" way. If i had a few extra thousand bucks i would pay for a gue OW course, but somehow i know thats not going to happen. Also i dont think im a smooth enough talker to get them to pay it either.

I do think i may be able to talk them into taking a long drive. (Neighboring states of NYC) Does anyone know a instructor that will teach them in a long hoes and BP/W in general area?

blueboy:
i would pay for a gue OW course, but somehow i know thats not going to happen.

not yet anway... they keep saying it's almost ready, but... oh well

there's a couple of excellent instrcutors i know who are GUE-affiliated but
also teach for other agencies (PADI and NAUI come to mind)

perhaps you could find such a GUE instructor, qualified to teach DIR-F, and
get your friends to be certified through whatever agency they also teach,
but with a DIR-eye on them.

then, encourage them to take Fundies after they've had 20-30 dives

Never mind...

didnt mean "thats not going to happen" in that the course is not coming. I mean i will never have the money to pay for people to dive.

yeah, you and me both

:wink:

have you checked GUE's instructor database to see if any GUE instructors in
NY area might fit the bill?

blueboy:
I have 2 friends that are going to start diving. Since i know they will love it i would like to start them off the "right" way. If i had a few extra thousand bucks i would pay for a gue OW course, but somehow i know thats not going to happen. Also i dont think im a smooth enough talker to get them to pay it either.

I do think i may be able to talk them into taking a long drive. (Neighboring states of NYC) Does anyone know a instructor that will teach them in a long hoes and BP/W in general area?

If you have GUE trained instructors in your area who teach OW then you could try to convince your friend to take it with those intructors. For example, my DIR-F instructor also teaches OW for IANTD and his version of it basically includes everything you learn in DIR-F.

Dale, try contacting Bob Sherwood and see what he can offer. Even if he can't help you out himself, he may have some ideas on where they can go.

Looking forward to seeing you at Dutch this spring/summer. Drop me a line!

*Floater*:
If you have GUE trained instructors in your area who teach OW then you could try to convince your friend to take it with those intructors. For example, my DIR-F instructor also teaches OW for IANTD and his version of it basically includes everything you learn in DIR-F.

Of course! Almost everything covered in DIR-F should be in an OW course. Too bad the DIR-F needs to fix the things other agencies lack.

If DIR is the way you want to go...by doing your OW ala DIR just the choices in gear will save you a bundle.

Derek S:
Dale, try contacting Bob Sherwood and see what he can offer. Even if he can't help you out himself, he may have some ideas on where they can go.
I second this. Bob is a good guy. He can help you figure out a path even if it's not GUE or him teaching it. His email is sherwood@gue.com. You can also go to the gue.com website and get his phone number...

Good luck.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom