Starting from scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only reason I've ever been able to come up with, other than that they look funny, is that you're complicating the amount of "stuff" you have to assemble for a dive. I have to confess I have, on occasion, shown up at a dive site without my X-shorts, and therefore without pockets, and therefore unable to carry safety gear in the usual streamlined and accessible fashion.

Since I got through Cave 1 without anyone making a single comment about the X-shorts (in contrast to my Chuck Taylors, which were a running joke through the entire class) I don't think they're a deal-breaker.

Thanks all for the rule #6 clarification. IMO those would definately break that rule. Almost like wearing a diaper:baby: on the outside of your wetsuit.:rofl3:

Now I am all about function, not fashon, so it wouldn't bother me.

(He puts flame suit on) I just can't figure out, why not just use a pocket or two on your harness? I know, its not DIR, I just don't see the major difference between my waist and my thigh. NOT trying to stir the pot!!!

Didn't everyone get the memo? This is the new, kinder, softer, and more gentle face of DIR. :)

Lynne, I promise you that no one is going to laugh at your x-shorts up here in a couple of weeks.......okay, maybe just a little bit...........;-)

(He puts flame suit on) I just can't figure out, why not just use a pocket or two on your harness? I know, its not DIR, I just don't see the major difference between my waist and my thigh. NOT trying to stir the pot!!!

There are usually other things on your harness like canister lights on the right and a d-ring on the left. Halcyon does (did?) make a pocket to slide on the harness that attaches to the BP and that is what I used in Oz last week when I was diving singles with a skin (can't glue pockets on a skin) and no canister light. When I bought it, the pocket was an official DIR option for those circumstances but I'm not sure if it still is.

I saw photos of that pocket and routing the long hose under it as you would the can light.

Brian, if you could get by with just a skin, how about a mankini and some x shorts...........(shudder............)

I saw photos of that pocket and routing the long hose under it as you would the can light.

Pretty much. Although the pocket has a zipper closure which goes against DIR teaching.

Brian, if you could get by with just a skin, how about a mankini and some x shorts...........(shudder............)

Oh man, you're flashing me back to last Saturday when there was a 50something guy on the beach who looked like he was 9 months pregnant wearing a GIII-style banana hammock...the horror, the horror.

The BP/W I borrowed from my instructor to do Fundies with had one of those Halcyon pockets on it. It's not very big compared to a thigh pocket, but it fits an SMB and a spool.

I was trying to go through the usual DIR deal-breakers in my head and couldn't see how they were an added failure point, entanglement hazard, gear solving a skill problem and although they are a clear rule #6 violation, the rest of the functionality seems to be well in line.

Cheers!

R

I've used a couple different belt pockets, and they work pretty well. They help hold down the long hose. I've also had no problem using them with a can light. The downsides are they don't typically hold as much, and are harder to get open because they are not attached as securely; so when you pull on the velcro, it doesn't have as much to hold it in place. I also think this adds to the wear on the pocket, and I've ruined a couple in fairly short notice.

I don't think zippers are completely against protocol. After all, the H pockets have zipper pockets for cookies, etc.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom