Starting from scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckchick

Scubavangelist
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a brand new local diver that's talking about buying a complete set-up and when he asked me for advice I asked him where he wanted to be in five years with regard to his diving career, as it were. He expressed an interest in deep/tech diving and so far seems receptive to the idea of planning now and buying right the first time.

The problem is, although I love my gear and it's worked great for me, I haven't paid much attention to what the current top choices are with Hog/DIR diving so I thought I'd pop my head in here and find out what the latest is.

For now he's looking at purely rec dives with the idea that the gear will be modular and allow him to add on as needed as he progresses. He's about 6'4" and 230-240 lbs and in fantastic shape.

If you were going to outfit this guy with the absolute best kit, what would it be? I'd like actual product names and suppliers if you know where you'd go to get the stuff.

Thank you for helping me out on this one!

Rachel

I'd second the recommendation for a DSS singles rig. He might be a candidate for the large, or long pattern backplate, too -- One of the great things about DSS is that he can call and talk to Tobin, and Tobin will walk him through the decision tree, and won't sell him a rig until he's sure the fellow is getting gear which will be right for HIM. (I know this, because Tobin did this to a friend of mine.)

I think the consensus is still HID lights. Many of our local DIR divers are using Salvo 21Ws and are happy with the lights, their durability, and the customer service from Salvo when it's needed.

The recommendation is still for twist-on 3 C-cell backup lights, although a lot of us are experimenting with other options. Still, enough problems are reported to make me think that the first purchases should be Scout or Photon Torpedo type lights, with the LED upgrades.

I don't think regulators are standardized at all. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably look at Apeks regs because you can buy the parts kits for them (I think I have that right) rather than the SPs I have, although I love them. But as the amounts of gear increase, the desirability of learning to do one's own maintenance increases, too.

Trilaminate dry suits are still recommended, because of their easy drying, lighter weight, and the flexibility one has to vary insulation by varying undergarment. (That said, you'll drag my cold, dead body out of my Fusion . . . )

Fins are stiff paddles, and most people are still using Jets. For wetsuit diving, some are using the OMS Slipstreams (which are not negative). Some folks are using Turtles, if the foot pockets on the XL Jets aren't big enough. I understand the Hollis fins have a slightly smaller foot pocket than the Jets.

So I doubt much has changed. Although there are new things coming down the pipeline, a lot of them just don't meet the reliability standards for DIR diving.

He's very taken by his longtime SO who is a fantastic person so there is no 'interest' as far as that goes.

My first choice would be to go to Tobin as well since he's always done me right even though I haven't ever purchased anything major from him. My old brown Halcyon Pioneer 27 is still kicking!

For now, we're in wetsuit country so a drysuit is out. Jets still in!

Scouts (or scout clones, check), probably not a can light right off the bat.

Is there anyone diving Atomic regs or with any opinion one way or the other about them? He's leaning toward the titanium B2 and I sort tried to distract him with different shiny things but it didn't really work.

I'm trying not to overwhelm the guy, just guide him in the direction that he seems to be leaning anyway with some solid gear recommendations.

I guess not much has changed after all!

R

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably look at Apeks regs because you can buy the parts kits for them (I think I have that right)

The Oz distributor will not supply kits to any but an authorised AQ/Apeks service tech. An authorised tech has done the course & works for an authorised retailer.

When asked about this they say it's the parent companies policy & out of their hands.

PS. If you know of a place in the US with easy access to Apeks kits please, please post or PM any contact details.

The Oz distributor will not supply kits to any but an authorised AQ/Apeks service tech. An authorised tech has done the course & works for an authorised retailer.

When asked about this they say it's the parent companies policy & out of their hands.

PS. If you know of a place in the US with easy access to Apeks kits please, please post or PM any contact details.

I've seen the same thing up here in Canada. You can get the kits, but it's all a little hush hush so to speak, you need to have a retailer willing to sell them when they're not supposed to. Zeagle, Dive Rite, Salvo, I'm sure several others, are all willing to sell parts.

Things not mentioned that I would throw out there is some x-shorts from Dive xtras or the pockets from Oxycheq that you can strap to your leg.

Talk him into getting an SMB, spool and wetnotes. I like Halcyon for both. I think these should be basic gear carried on any open water diver and as such you should get high quality.

For a good scout clone or mini scout Id recommend the Salvo RAT or RAT Jr. The Jr is exceptional. LED based, bright as hell, long (5 hour+) burn time and tiny! If I recommend a first light to anyone that would be it.

Wings and backplate setups as so similar today Id recommend staying away from Halycon due to cost and check out possible cheaper options. My single tank wing is an oxycheq which I love.

I think I would also make sure that he didn't over look getting a good low profile mask.

I agree that the Halcyon bag rocks. We've had six different ones, and that's my pick. I also like Halcyon reels. That's the only Halcyon stuff I have.

The Rat, Jr. is a great cave diving backup light, but doesn't have much "punch" for use in murky water. It also uses expensive CR 123 batteries. The Scout LED and PT LED use C cells and have much better penetration in low viz. They are longer, and harder to fit on a harness if you're short, but the diver described in the original post won't have that issue. I LOVE my Oxycheq Raider IV, but there have been enough problems with the switch that it's my backup backup light, and I have a Scout/LED there to be reliable, if this one is not.

Definitely X-shorts. They're SO useful.

on regs I would suggest SP MK25's.... Easy routing on singles/doubles and do very well holding their resale value.

He's very taken by his longtime SO who is a fantastic person so there is no 'interest' as far as that goes.

My first choice would be to go to Tobin as well since he's always done me right even though I haven't ever purchased anything major from him. My old brown Halcyon Pioneer 27 is still kicking!

As are my Halcyons. And my Agirs and my buddy's Oxycheqs, etc, etc..Basically a wing is a wing and a BP is a BP. The simpler the better. Looking for deals on used gear is always wise.

For now, we're in wetsuit country so a drysuit is out. Jets still in!

Still in, Never out.

Scouts (or scout clones, check), probably not a can light right off the bat.

Photon Torpedo LEDs if you can get them still. I believe the bulb/reflector assembly is from an LED UK SL4 but I may be mistaken on that.

Is there anyone diving Atomic regs or with any opinion one way or the other about them? He's leaning toward the titanium B2 and I sort tried to distract him with different shiny things but it didn't really work.

No titanium regs. Besides the fact there is anecdotal evidence that they combust with elevated O2 there is only one reason why Atomic built titanium regs in the first place. Because they are expensive and people will buy them because they are expensive. They were built to market to the same crowd who buy a Rolex because of its' price when a Timex would do just fine.

I'm trying not to overwhelm the guy, just guide him in the direction that he seems to be leaning anyway with some solid gear recommendations.

I guess not much has changed after all!

Nope

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom