Starting from scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 6 wetsuits... you do the math. $40 x-shorts... $360 in sewn-on pockets.

I'll happily nickel-rocket to the tune of $320, tyvm.

R

How dare you mock geek shorts! They are my favorite piece of dive gear! Yeah they look silly but SOOO convenient. Plus, if I glued pockets on my wetsuits Id never be able to get my wetsuit off since I banana peel it off. I couldn't do that with full pockets unless I emptied everything.... i'm to lazy to do that, I am a sloth after all.

Hi everyone!

"Yes, I see you out there lurking Mr. Guy-I'm-Talking-About." It's me, the lurker...

I've been reading this thread and must admit I'm impressed with the support and input being provided from wreckchick's OP (also a bit overwhelmed with the terminologies and acronyms, being a newby and all but I'll learn the language eventually).

My thoughts on equipment right now are BCD, reg, fins and wetsuit. From an earlier post, my 10-year old mask used for snorkeling didn't cut it during my certification, so it's been retired by a newer/better model.

The owner of the shop let me use his Sherwood Avid today and while it beat the heck out of the rental-line BCD's, I'm not confident it's truly the best way for me to go. He was also gracious enough to lend a Sherwood SR1, and while it breathes easy (again, compared to the rental-regs) it didn't thrill me. I'm 6'4" and am thinking the "standard" length hose is a bit too short. The reg kept shifting in my mouth, and head-turning to the left is a bit restricted, just like with the rental regs. I was leaning toward Atomic (Z2X or B2 & SS1) as I do appreciate technology but I also appreciate keeping things simple. The swivels, Ti, seat saver etc. are all appealing, along with the company's founder's histories (I like supporting the "little guys-and gals" with big ideas) and haven't been very impressed with the big, old-timer companies out there. But I remain open.

Fins, well, these are the least of my worries right now.

As for a wetsuit, I'll probably go with something custom due to my size.

Money IS an object, but if I can get equipment that's reliable and a better fit for me and where I am and where I can progress from, then I'll pay extra for it.

Sorry for the long post/rant, but I don't want to bug the LDS people any more than I have to (they work awfully hard and always with smiles when the customers are around). I couldn't/wouldn't/wanna' do it.

Any and all input is very much appreciated. Being on St. Thomas keeps me from running to other LDS' (like on the mainland) and trying things out before buying.

Regards.

Welcome EffOne,

If you are on a budget I would suggest keeping an eye on ebay. Look for terms like DIR or Hog backplate setup and a single wing. a Backplate setup can last years so used is no problem and single wings are also pretty durable. Just run whatever you stumble across by wreckchick. This could save you a good bit.

The one area not to skimp on is on your regs. stick with high quality and ones with good warranties. Apeks and scubapro are good regs and the scubapro warranty is really good.

You might want to start with a 7" long hose and bunged backup. Wreckchick can explain this one to you if you have any questions about it. When I got back into diving back in 2002 I went ahead with this setup even though I was only doing recreational dives. I was very glad I did. Additionally, a rule of thumb for a lot of tech divers is to not add failure points to your regs. Things like swivels. Swivels also make for really awkward hose donations during out of airs.

Since you mentioned a possible desire to go the tech route in the future, getting the right type of gear and setup early helps financially and with your comfort level. Even if you have no desire to get into tech diving you will still look cool :)

You are also lucky having someone that can show you the ropes. Nothing beats a mentor in helping with basic skills and providing feedback if tech diving is really right for you or not.

I've been reading this thread and must admit I'm impressed with the support and input being provided from wreckchick's OP (also a bit overwhelmed with the terminologies and acronyms, being a newby and all but I'll learn the language eventually).

Sorry for the long post/rant, but I don't want to bug the LDS people any more than I have to (they work awfully hard and always with smiles when the customers are around). I couldn't/wouldn't/wanna' do it.

I'm always happy to answer questions. If I don't want to anymore, I'll let you know, I think you already know that.

R

I have 6 wetsuits... you do the math. $40 x-shorts... $360 in sewn-on pockets.

I'll happily nickel-rocket to the tune of $320, tyvm.

R

You didn't mention you were cheap.

Hope you didn't intend on being as rude as your post suggests.

I have no problem doing the math actually. Didn't even need a calculator.

How dare you mock geek shorts! They are my favorite piece of dive gear! Yeah they look silly but SOOO convenient. Plus, if I glued pockets on my wetsuits Id never be able to get my wetsuit off since I banana peel it off. I couldn't do that with full pockets unless I emptied everything.... i'm to lazy to do that, I am a sloth after all.

Actually peels off quite easily even with loaded pockets. No problem at all.

You didn't mention you were cheap.

Hope you didn't intend on being as rude as your post suggests.

I have no problem doing the math actually. Didn't even need a calculator.

I wasn't trying to be rude. Practicality makes x-shorts more appropriate for what I do. I thoroughly respect that your case might be/is different. If $60 per wetsuit made my life better/easier I'd probably pay it but instead it makes my life more inconvenient and prone to error so I don't. It's a win/win for me!

R

I wasn't trying to be rude. Practicality makes x-shorts more appropriate for what I do. I thoroughly respect that your case might be/is different. If $60 per wetsuit made my life better/easier I'd probably pay it but instead it makes my life more inconvenient and prone to error so I don't. It's a win/win for me!

R

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes the internet makes it very difficult to detect "tone" in a message.

best,

Guy

I'd suggest taking a second look at the Raider IV with the "hand sock" so that he starts off being used to having a light on the back of his hand. (It is also immediate feedback if he is using his hands for swimming!) That said, my first Raider IV lived for all of 5 minutes (?) underwater but it was replaced without issue by Edd and the new one seems to work fine.
I heard that Edd stopped selling that light due to all the problems ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom