Starting diving this year, looking for some insight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mutt BW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am relatively new. Got my Open Water Cert on 6/25. Certified in Lake George, New York where temps are just downright cold sometimes. Went diving last weekend and the temp under the second thermocline was a brisk 52 degrees. Have passed the Night diving, Navigation and Deep Diving. I purchased a Hollis backplate and bladder and Zeagle Flathead and Octo-Z. Using an Atom 3.0 Dive Computer. Going up to a DUI drysuit demo this coming weekend in the Saint Lawrence River ( between New York and Canada). I have only made dives in Lake George in Upstate New York in the Adirondacks. Have a 7 mm wetsuit and Lava Core. Buoyancy is pretty good , I would say I am "right" about 90% of the time. That is where I am. I am looking for some insight into diving in Cozumel and Honduras. I am taking a cruise in early January , 2014. I am taking my gear, but what weight suit/protection do I need? I have searched a number of sites and it seems to steer me towards a 3mm wetsuit. Can I get away with the Lave Core? I am thinking not, since it states it is equivalent to to 1.5-2 mm. Also what is the differential in the change of going from freshwater to saltwater? I have been told by a couple of sources that all things being equal , you would add 6 lbs.. Is that reasonable? Then I would have to calculate the difference in the buoyancy in the suit that is being worn. Thanks in advance.

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard! :admingreet: Sorry your post rotated so fast; this forum zooms at times.

I bet you had fun at the DUI Dog Days. I miss those.

Water temp tolerances are a personal thing. I know divers who dive in swim suits in Coz and used to know one who dived a dry suit there. I have dived a 1 mil in Coz & Roatan in the winter, but sometimes have to add a 3 mil on top. Take the skinny suit and ask your op to bring a 3 mile shorty in case you need it. From my experiences, I add 4# for saltwater plus 4# for the 3 mil, but hard to say for sure - and coming off of a barge, no time to practice.

I do strongly suggest hiring a private DM, first time in the ocean, first time in either location. Post on the local forums here for more info, and try to book your own dive op.

Five to 6 pounds is about right for most people, going from fresh to salt, but if you are going from a dry suit to a thin wetsuit, you'll be dropping AT LEAST that much by the change in exposure protection. If you are diving steel tanks on Coz, take that into consideration as well. (If you dive steels at home and go to Aluminum, you'll need to add at least four pounds.)

I dove Coz in a full 3 mil suit and I was fine in the water, but the minute I got out, I started to shiver badly in the wind. What I have learned subsequently is that that means I had lost much more core heat in the water than I had realized, and if I were going to dive Coz now, I'd be in at least 5 mils (and my current wetsuit is a semi-dry). On the other hand, diving a dry suit in warm water is a delight -- you need only thin undergarments (I use Polarfleece sweats) and you stay wonderfully warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom